How can we improve HDInsight?

Start/Stop cluster HDInsight

The possibility to start and stop a cluster. Now is only available delete the cluster and I do not want any charge unnecessarily if I don't use the cluster for several days.

1,053 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Yolanda shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

[Update] Thanks for your continued feedback on this capability! Rest assured that we are tracking this request closely along with several other platform capabilities our customers have requested. In the meanwhile, you can leverage cluster scaling capability to adjust HDInsight cluster size according to your varying compute needs. Azure Data Factory is another option you can explore for scheduling jobs with automatic creation and deletion of clusters: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/data-factory-data-transformation-activities/

Adnan Ijaz
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Azure HDInsight

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, as I can see "STOP" or "PAUSE" option for HDInsight Spark cluster has not yet been implemented.
        I know the solution for create and delete an hdinsight cluster, but I would like to ask information about another possibility.

From the hdinsight cluster dashboard (Ambari home), in the left panel there is the button "Actions" and then "Stop All", in this way all the services are stopped.
        I wanted to ask, is this a solution to pause the cluster when I do not use it and then do not pay excessive additional costs for the service?
        Has anyone tried this solution and knows if it works or not?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an essential feature to sell to stake holders and add flexibility to a cloud solution

This is an essential feature. The value on cloud is basically you are meant to reduce costs and this is a key feature missing.
        I see people is asking for this since 2 years ago. I guess this is not simple to solve for MSFT. But definitely is a key point. Hope you are working on it.

Thanks.

• Ron DeFreitas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You continue to get votes for this feature with no response in over 2 years... this is creating a hardship for us, as well, and it does not paint Azure in a positive light when I'm trying to sell stakeholders on HDInsight as our technology target.

Any updates?

Seconded

I also vote for "STOP" or "PAUSE" option for HDInsight cluster. It is currently available for VMs.

I would also use this to stop a spark cluster.

I also vote for "STOP" or "PAUSE" option for HDInsight cluster. It is currently available for VMs.
        Is there a technical reason why it can not be made available on spark cluster?

This is a serious pain-in-the-hole and definitely a dealbreaker coming from AWS. Would be a shame to leave Azure.

Please let us know when this feature will be implemented.

• myusrn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Btw the ibm data science experience [dsx] provides free spark cluster environment to facilitate development prototyping w/o you having to run up a bunch of charges or burn through ones monthly azure $200 developer allowance. So i'd highly recommend you folks at least provide ability to stop/restart a minimally configured hdinsight spark cluster or even better provide some limited performance capability version that a dev can leave running all the time to access for prototyping work. Having to delete and recreate your setup in between uses is not practical.

• Ankit Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a student, we have create a cluster and delete it everyday which is creating a burden for us. We are studying for the Certification named "Implementing Predictive Analytics with Spark in Azure HDInsight" as part of Data Science curriculum.
        Please add the start/stop functionality so that our efforts can be saved. If its not possible then at least share the reason with us.

Thanks,
        Ankit Sharma

• Matthew Townsend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are evaluating between AWS, Azure, and Bluemix for Big Data platforms and will probably pick 2. This is definitely not a positive for Azure.

• Luca Zavarella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this request? It's simply a shame you're forced to pay since there isn't a way to turn off the service without delete it.
        Thank you.

• RZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of now I am deleting the cluster and moving it to some other option...
        Anyway Hope to see this soon !

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base