How can we improve HDInsight?

Start/Stop cluster HDInsight

The possibility to start and stop a cluster. Now is only available delete the cluster and I do not want any charge unnecessarily if I don't use the cluster for several days.

382 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Yolanda Yolanda shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

[Update] Thanks for your continued feedback on this capability! Rest assured that we are tracking this request closely along with several other platform capabilities our customers have requested. In the meanwhile, you can leverage cluster scaling capability to adjust HDInsight cluster size according to your varying compute needs. Azure Data Factory is another option you can explore for scheduling jobs with automatic creation and deletion of clusters: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/data-factory-data-transformation-activities/

Adnan Ijaz
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Azure HDInsight

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brandon BassBrandon Bass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a necessary feature for my team, we'd love to use the platform but starting and deleting a cluster is not a way forward.

• DevonDevon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

April 2016. New interface redesign, but still not this feature? Please, this is necessary. Azure is otherwise the best platform right now for HDP.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. Hard to believe. This issue alone is enough to make me walk away from Azure.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too stayed away from HDInsight due to not being able to start and stop a cluster, versus having to delete the whole thing and recreate it.

• Corey LaneCorey Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to see this feature implemented. It's a major pain to have to delete my cluster and create a new one every time I want to run a Hadoop job. If I could just suspend the instance so that I wouldn't be charged for unused time and boot it back up with the same name, password, etc. it would be much more useful. We recently moved away from HDInsight because of this.

• Jamie ThomsonJamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. Similarly I'd like to be able to scale my cluster up or down (i.e. add or remove data nodes).

Feedback and Knowledge Base