SQL Database

1. Enable Azure Data Lake as Polybase external data source to work for SQL Database too. Not just SQL Data Warehouse.

Enable Azure Data Lake as Polybase external data source to work for SQL Database too. Not just SQL Data Warehouse.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. API to check remaining DTU limit of a server

Can we have an API to get remaining DTU limit of a server? This will be useful to know if a given logical server has hit the limit of 45000 DTUs.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow enabling auditing on SQL Server and send data to OMS workspace using ARM template

Using Azure portal sending auditing data to OMS work space is available.. But we couldn’t find an option using ARM template to send SQL auditing data to OMS workspace.. only allows sending data to storage account..

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Common DNS name for Azure SQL

SQL AzureDB is built apon Always On Availability Groups from what I have seen in SQL Server Presentations. Part of the SQL Server Availability groups there is a Common DNS name which sits over the top of all the SQL Databases in the Availability group, you connect to this "Common DNS Name" so in the event of a failover, the client connections get automatically redirected to the correct server/db.
    SQL AzureDB does not present this as an option to connect to via the Azure portal, which is why I was talking to the GM for Azure Cat team, which he…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Respect PaaS Firewall rules IN ADDITION to Database Firewall Rules!

It is egregious that a database firewall rule which is set using sp_set_database_firewall_rule OVERRIDES any rules which are set on the SQL PaaS service which contains the database. BOTH sets of rules should be respected. This represents a huge DLP threat since someone with enough database rights (who may not have PaaS firewall rights) can completely open the database to the internet.

The behavior is documented but is unlike any other service I've seen. It's like allowing an internal database firewall settings to completely bypass the permeter firewall settings.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-firewall-configure

Please provide an option which enforces BOTH sets of firewall…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Data Sync frequency/minimum sync Interval

SQL Data Sync frequency - Increase minimum sync Interval

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide better reason codes for Azure SQL unavailability

When Azure SQL databases are unavailable the Reason "code" seems to always be "Unplanned". We know from research and confirmation from Microsoft that this can be due to back end service reconfiguration, issues after updates, etc. My suggestion is to provide enhanced reason codes so that we know when there is a problem and when it's due to something expected like back end service reconfigurations. Having a more granular view of the reasons would save a lot of troubleshooting time (for us and for MS). At a minimum, it would be nice to have categories such as:
    Reconfiguration - caused…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Exempt all system functions from DTU limits

Even on our P4 database I cannot rebuild indexes on a 5gb table without the operation running absurdly slowly - and killing production. Currently I have to upgrade to at least a P11 just to do standard index maintenance! The quickest solution might be to allow system maintenance functions like this to run outside the DTU limit - even if they also incur a (modest) additional charge. On S3 I cannot even begin to do these things. Short of a complete revamp of the DTU system, exempting system functions from the limits would be a good thing.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Azure SQL Monitoring Tool Enhancement

Need an out of the box solution for monitoring and alerting on such things as blocking locks, long running queries and running sql against the DM tables to build custom dashboards / alerts

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support tempdb access/view and allow to extend the size on Azure SQL Database

Support tempdb access/view and allow to extend the size on Azure SQL Database.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. SQL Database Defragmenting

Could Azure offer a way to automate defragmenting a SQL Database? They already have the automated creation and deletion of Indexes, and Schema suggestions is in Preview Mode.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SQL Server backups to hot, cool and premium blob storage do not work.

SQL Server backups to hot, cool and premium blob storage do not work. They canonly be writen to standard storage. Otherwise there is an error:

Msg 3271, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "https://slxuscprd136sabscol01.blob.core.windows.net/coolbkp01/SLXUSE2QA96DB01_test_FULL_20160830_022634.bak:"
    Backup to URL received an exception from the remote endpoint. Exception Message: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request..

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Why to have same service tier for SQL Azure geo-replication?

Currently, Geo-replication can be configured only databases between same service tier... since it is possible that secondary will be used ONLY for DR purpose, maintaining secondary with low config gives the benefit of cost saving. Need your thoughts on this implementation difficulties and possibilities on bringing it to public.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Bug? SQL Database no longer showing in portal

In the middle of customising the dashboard of Azure's (preview) portal, I changed a SQL Database tile from 2x2 to 2x1. Bad plan it seems, as the tile's database name disappeared and the tile now simply says "SQL Database". Clicking on the tile takes me to a pretty much empty blade.

More worryingly, the "all resources" no longer lists my database. The database server blade includes my problem database as being on the server (i.e. in the list of SQL databases), but clicking on the database shows me the same pretty empty blade. (The legacy portal shows the database correctly,…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. sybase DB support on azure

To enable feature for running sybase DB on azure , since many applications are running with this type or DB in our Data center and we are not migrating to SQL DB.

Atleast if stand alone mode support been enabled on azure Iaas , it would add more confidence to customer

Also many customer are still using this DB and may be due to this limitation other customers may hold decision on migration

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable PolyBase to write data directly into Azure SQL Databases by USQL

Enable PolyBase to write data directly into Azure SQL Database by USQL.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SQL database monitoring chart rarely displays data

The older site displayed a warning icon with something about unable to load management data for this resource. I've only noticed this with the database chart but it seems intermittent at best, doesn't provide much value as a dashboard tile.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. PaaS - Only pay for what you use

The Microsoft Azure statement for "only pay for what you use" is misleading for PaaS non-production environments. By design, non-production environments are typically only utilized when needed. However, in Azure, for PaaS databases, you are paying 100% of the utilization hours, regardless if you need to use the database or not. This is a flaw in the design in Azure.

Note that this capability is now available in Amazon AWS and puts Microsoft Azure at a drastic disadvantage when comparing pricing if it is known upfront that "only pay for what you use" isn't true for PaaS databases. See article…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Simple way to add current IP to firewall exception for SQL

Last portal has a quick start feature to quickly add firewall exceptions. New one doesn't. Or at least it's not obvious.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 33 34
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories