SQL Database

How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow DNS alias masking for SQL Azure Database Server

We would like to be able to take an azure sql server's instance name (server01.database.windows.net) and add an alias entry to our internal DNS for resolution which aligns to our existing set of onpremise standards.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Master Data Services (MDS) configured to Azure SQL.

Master Data Services (MDS) currently does not support having Azure SQL DB as it Data source. We have entity store on PaaS and MDS on IaaS and we want to MDS to be configured to Azure SQL instead of on-prem SQL.
    Or even better to have MDS as PaaS.

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [bug] SQL Azure Database Information Not Available in Preview Portal

Experiencing a repeated bug in the preview portal with Azure SQL Database. Occasionally after altering the service level tier of an existing database that database no longer appears in the Portal UI. The server will still appear, and you can drill down to the database name, but you are never able to access the database details or monitoring metrics via the preview portal. The standard portal works correctly and displays the correct database information.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bug: DDL Triggers are NOT disabled during Bacpac import

During the import of a Bacpac DDL triggers are not disabled and therefore are fired on each trigger defined DDL operation as they are carried out during the import process.

An example of this is a trigger firing on ALTER TABLE actions, where the import process is recorded by the trigger in an audit table. However when the contents of the audit table itself is attempted to be imported a duplicate primary key error is thrown as the import process has already written rows to the table.

As an example:
    Create a DDL trigger using the attached text file on…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure database export fails when split_string is involved

Database compatabilty level 130.

Repro steps:

alter function dbo.tt
    (@id varchar(max))
    returns table
    return
    select
    * from
    dbo.string_split(@id,',') t
    inner join
    dbo.numbers n
    on n.id=t.value

Export dacpac fails stating unresolved reference split_string,while the function itself works

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Adding Azure AD groups to Azure SQL Database with Special charecters like '&'. Currently it is not alowing.

Adding Azure AD groups to Azure SQL Database with Special characters like '&'. Currently it is not allowing. Corporate AD groups have special characters and we need this feature should be available for successful client satisfaction. It is critical for enterprise applications.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fix quality of daily cost data visibility

On various days / weeks there are gaps in cost data for various resources. This tends to self-heal after up to 1 week (incl. history correction). All custom control / alerting which looks on anomalies in cost trends fail due to this; we also loose opportunity to act quickly on unexpected cost raises due to changes, testing activity or unplanned activity on prod - it's critical to see this data at least with daily delay, ideally near real-time.

Examples of incidents: on Dec 8-9 we stopped getting cost data for any of our SQL DWs, SQL DBs or PostgreSQL DBs…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Deadlock with Always Encrypt Azure Key Vault

We use Always encrypt from Azure App Service in ASP.Net with column key in Azure Keys vault. I work most of the times, but when column key is refreshed we see deadlock if the load is significant. We have seen this with around 10 queries per second.

I have attached a screen dump from Log Analytics that shows that 3 x 500 KeyVault opertation occuring in connection with this deadlock. 500 is the size of our connection pool. After a few minutes Tasks are cancelled and the service resumes. But during that time no database access is possible.

To me…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Changing database Owner does not remove permissions from 'old' owner.

When executing 'ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::myDb TO [user1@mydomain.com]' this does not appear to revoke permissions from the previous owner. It appears to allow all previous 'Owners' full access.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. We need a regulator to easily start and stop of your Azure SQL services

We need a regulator to easily start and stop of your Azure SQL services to save the cost. So whenever we require, we can start or stop services which feature is available in AWS

Lets take an example, if we are using Standard S0 pricing tier with 15 GB database size and our database is not in use after pick hours so here I need
    to stop Azure sql database which is not available in current feature and also i can't scale down the database to basic tier because my database size is more than 5GB

can you please provide…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. South India SQL Database price

Hi,

is this a bug in calculation?

Why only South Indian SQL Database Basic price is higher comparing to all other available region.

Azure pricing calculator show $124 per month for South India when other region is just charging $4 or $5.

Anyone Please confirm

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Inconsistent AzureAD logon experience when using MFA

We are using MFA enabled AzureAD accounts to access Azure SQL.

When accessing SQL databases we must select 'Active Directory Universal with MFA Support' from SSMS in order to login, Active Directory Password Authentication does not work as there is no support to log in using MFA - this is the behaviour I expect.

However, if i invite my MFA enabled AzureAD account into a second AzureAD directory and grant that account permission to access a SQL database in a subscription linked to the second AzureAD directory then i can log in using Active Directory Password Authentication
    i.e. MFA is…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve dmv sys.firewall_rules.

When we add a new IP on the SQL server, the modify_date column, updates with the same values ​​for all rules.

Is this a normal behavior?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Show Database Pricing Tier on Azure Portal

I've multiple Azure DBs to manage and desire a single view to tell all pricing tier at once on portal.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Translation in Japanese: "インデックスのドロップ" を "インデックスの削除" にしてほしい

Translation in Japanese:
    I want to translate "DROP INDEX" to "インデックスの削除" instead of "インデックスのドロップ" in Japanese.
    Other Items last word in Automatic turning is Kanji, not Katakana.
    Like. "FORCE PLAN" to "プランの強制", "CREATE INDEX" to "インデックスの作成",
    So, I want to translate "DROP INDEX" to "インデックスの削除".

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix shema issue recommendation for 'invalid_column' is useless without the column. Please fix.

Right now the 'invalid_column' recommendation doesn't show the table or the column that's at issue making it virtually impossible to tell what's actually wrong especially when deploying to production environments correctly with batched SQL changes in tools like entity framework or Red Gate etc.

Please fix this to add the table and column that's the issue.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. failover

Allow VNET access for Azure SQL Failover Group

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. elastic jobs shardmap

Running an Elastic Job against a ShardMap results in errors on the server name
    Every child jobs keeps reporting the following error: "The server 'tcp:myserver.database.windows.net,1433' cannot be used as a job target because it is not an Azure SQL Database server in the same Azure cloud as this job agent. The server's fully qualified host name must end with '.database.windows.net'."
    It seems that the stored Elastic Job Agent is unable to handle the servername when it includes the protocol and port. I am using the v2.0.0-preview2 version of Microsoft.Azure.SqlDatabase.ElasticScale.Client, which indicates schema version 1.2 in [__ShardManagement].[ShardMapManagerGlobal] on the catalog database.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Restoring Azure SQL database without knowing database size

When you need to restore an Azure SQL database that is in the elastic pool, and the free space in the elastic pool is not big enough to fit the restore, it runs for hours, and then fails. Without telling you why it failed.

It would be nice if you saved the size of the database together with the backup, so we could see the size required for the restore.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Renaming stored procedure bug

When renaming a Stored Procedure from "spFoo1" to "spFoo2" via SSMS Object Explorer, I've noticed that the name of the
    stored procedure name is still "spFoo1" in the [sys].[sp_helptext] 'spFoo2'. I haven't tested this for functions, etc. This causes big confusion if multiple people are going through the code with tools such as RedGate and aren't aware of the change or issue and are just going with the name. It may be good to have the option to validate that the stored proc code compiles and rollback the rename if it can't.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Feedback and Knowledge Base