How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Stopping SQL Azure Temporarily

Being able to stop SQL Azure temporarily. Currently there is no way to stop SQL Azure temporarily. So, you are being charged even if it's not being used.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Uzunel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marc Michault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A solution needs to be brought forth, as the workarounds are impractical and do not work well for testing

• Jeff Dodds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... between this and the other denied request Microsoft really doesn't seem to care about their users here. Not too mention the denied request regarding shutting down and App Service Plan.

• Rajesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pause option is provided for SQL Data warehouse, why not for SQL DB? We are ready to pay for the storage.

• Mike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I give up. Time for a serious look at Amazon RDS I think - it already has a free tier and I hear recently added the ability to read & write regular SQL backups.

• Sushanta Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this feature as I do not want the hassle of manual export import everytime, while start and stop works fine. Please add this feature.

• Mike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a previous similar request was closed without a resolution, I'm reposting my comments and voting +3 here - I encourage others to do the same.

I also want to pause and unpause test/dev apps frequently. The lack of this feature puts me off using and recommending Azure SQL, as bill shock is common.

The alternative options suggested elsewhere are a hassle to understand and use. This is a standard feature in almost every Azure and competitor cloud service - it seems odd that it isn't offered in Azure SQL. The underlying SQL Server technology would seem to already include several easy ways to support this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base