How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Traffic Manager for SQL Database

The traffic manager is a great way to account for failover between web nodes in different data centers. However, an analogous paradigm doesn't exist for databases. In the premium tier, you can enable active geo-replication. However, all applications dependent on the primary either need to have their connection strings changed over when failing over between data centers, or they have to have some sophisticated retry logic built in at the application tier. It would be great if applications could point to a single, consistent endpoint and the geo-failover could be handled at a higher level the way it is with the Traffic Manager.

283 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark Hildreth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacob Golden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was this not addressed with the Failover Groups functionality at the SQL Server level in Azure SQL?

• Ozan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very powerful & useful feature. Traffic Manager folks, get this done please, the sooner the better.

• Luke Ballantine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree.

I was quite disappointed to find that ATM lets you select a primary and secondary web app, but doesn't give you the option to select a primary and secondary SQL Azure DB. It seems like the dev team really missed a trick there. I would have been a super-simple geo-redundant DR solution. As it stands now, you've got to roll-your-own monitor app for DB failover that kills the SQL replication so your secondary DB becomes read-write.

Feedback and Knowledge Base