How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Grant access to Azure DB via host name (reverse DNS) instead of IP address

Clients behind dynamic IP addresses are unable to make use of Azure DB for desktop and server application because I cannot know the IP address that their workstations might be calling from.
I can use DynDNS to maintain their external host name but good luck to anyone who wants to use DB sync or to direct access the Azure DB databases in this type of environment.

Static IP is not available to many of our clients as they are in remote locations that only have 3G/4G coverage

151 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris Schaller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gopi Reddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User authentication, DB connection authentication, and feature authorization together are more than adequate. If an Azure DB customer doesn't want IP address access control, then that should be available as an option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not use an ssh key like for instance digitalocean does? Needing a fixed IP prevents me from using azure!

• jvl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using azure SQL and azure apps, the only option in the firewall is to allow the entire Azure cloud. With this idea you can limit access from the Azure cloud by adding appname.azurewebsites.net into the firewall.

• Chris Schaller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My current work around is to enable all IP addresses, I get a shiver down my spine every time I think about it, and I'm too embarrassed to say it out loud.
    Current allow rule is 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255

Feedback and Knowledge Base