How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Allow SQL Database to join Virtual Network (VPN)

I have Cloud Service with web/worker roles connected to SQL Database (web edition).

I also have Virtual Network with point-to-site client (P2S) connection, but I cannot connect to my SQL Database (web edition) via VPN (eg using SSDM). Instead I have to use internet connection.

IP address assigned by my ISP has short lifetime and is reset daily. This means that almost every time I want to perform Admin tasks, I have to log onto Windows Azure portal to change my IP address in the SQL database firewall (defining a range of addresses is not an option).

VPN would mean I just need to set firewall address list once, and I also like the additional layer of security offered by VPN. P2S requires certificate installed on each client computer, so if passwords / desktop apps did fall into wrong hands, no one would be able to use them to connect from another computer.

2,833 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tim Cook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

134 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jerry Hoffmeister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dhruv - Unless I'm missing something, the feature you announced on 10/17 does NOT solve the problem stated by the originator of this request. Could you speak to that please and provide a date when connections from P2S clients will be supported?

• Jerry Hoffmeister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow - I can't believe this doesn't work. I assumed it would and have had to do research to figure out that it doesn't. If I have a private IP on my client and don't want to allow the entire network behind my firewall access, how is one to access an Azure SQL database? What if I wanted secure access say from a coffee shop? When is this going to get fixed???

• Don Petry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to see SQL DB support the "VNet Join" scenario where the service endpoint uses a private IP within the VNET/Subnet. This will facilitate access scenarios where non-Azure resources should access SQL DB using private networking.

• Nic Passmore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Service Endpoints are great, but please allow us to access Azure SQL instances over Site to Site VPN connections..

• dmarlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need support for allowing P2S VPN to connect to SQL Azure. Please add support.

• Johan Bennink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dhruv If I understand the text on your link it states it cannot be used to connect from on-premise machines through a site-tos-ite gateway to an azure sql database. It talks about connecting from Azure resources inside the vnet to the Azure sql database on it's external endpoint and then [ï'm paraphrasing in dummy speak] the network recognizes you are trying to connect to an azure resource and simple redirects to the internal machine.
        But this does not expose an internal address to azure sql such as is the case with VM's so still does not allow you to have no external IP on the azure sql firewall setting and still allow access to the database from an on-premise machine using the site-to-site vpn.
        For a feature that is being worked on or suggested since 2014 it's a bit silly to not actually solve the problem suggested. Or did I get it completely wrong here?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

with ignite starting Monday and all these indications in portal of VNETs, I gotta believe this is going to be announced at Ignite.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They even renamed it to "Firewall / Virtual Networks" on production portal but there is no news or comments about public preview. Also, yesterday on preview portal I saw 'add VNET rule' under firewall settings but today it is gone.

• Adam Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you provide an estimation of when we are likely to see VNet support enter public preview?

• Paul Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi folks, we'd like to set up a VPN to securely query our production SQL Databases from within our corporate network. Any news on when this will be generally available?

• David Drager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this request be implemented in SQL Database or is the plan require the use of SQL Managed instances to attach to a VNet.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. I noticed the 'add VNET rule' inside Azure SQL DB firewall settings - but greyed out (as pointed out in previous comments). Is there any further info on this/when this will be available in preview?

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an 'add VNET rule' option in the Azure SQL firewall settings, but it is greyed out currently.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base