How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Enable SQL Service Broker in SQL Azure

Service Broker should be available in Windows Azure.

1,095 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    firesnake shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All thanks Microsoft 😎
        I’ve been waiting this for years, and it finally worked with me!

• Marek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Covered under new Managed Instances does not solve the issue for many. What about classic Azure SQL (single databases)?

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Service Broker became available in (what used to be called) SQL Azure yesterday (2018-03-07) with the announcement of the GA of Azure SQL Database Managed instance:

"
        We’re excited to announce the preview of Azure SQL Database Managed Instance, a new deployment option in SQL Database that streamlines the migration of SQL Server workloads to a fully managed database service. This new Managed Instance deployment option provides full SQL Server engine compatibility and native virtual network (VNET) support.

With Managed Instance, you can continue to rely on the same SQL Server tools you’ve used and loved for years—in the cloud, too. These include features such as native database restore, SQL Agent, Database Mail, Service Broker, Common Language Runtime (CLR), and Change Data Capture.
        "

So I guess this uservoice ticket can be closed, right?

• Michal Poreba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others before me I have a case where a potential move to Azure was abandoned at POC stage because of missing Service Broker which can be an effective tool to distribute load, implement data centric messaging solution right in the database and very importantly allow for asynchronous processing in SQL Server (asynchronous triggers). Another scenario is near real-life data consolidation from multiple source databases. Are there any plans of enabling it in Azure one day, or is it completely of no interest or value to Microsoft?

If you don't want to support the Broker then provide a valid alternative that the .Net SqlDependency can use instead.

Such a let down, my organisation were about to adopt Azure big time but having come across this we are having to back out of it and select an alternative. Very surprising for Microsoft to not offer this.

• Saurabh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Service Broker on SQL azure is becoming a deal-breaker for us. We are using SQL azure for many years for our tool and now this is a blocker. Not able to upgrade new features in our tool.

The same here too, i already configured and developed my app to provide real time data to my clients and finally got the azure do not support sql service broker.

Really disappointing.

Alternatively if anyone fixed the issue plz post here so i may also use it.

This was a major disappointment when I saw that a mature technology such as Service Broker was not a supported technology within SQL Azure. But yet, newer technologies, still in their early years (like In-Memory OLTP) are supported. Would love to see support for Service Broker added.

• Durga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi haycock,

We use the service broker to feed real time data changes to our data base w/o impacting the performance of the original SQL update.

Thanks,
        DurgaPrasad G

• Kristian Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a dealbreaker for us transferring a client to Azure SQL instances, SQL Broker is mission critical for them, and it's just awesome.

• Shane Milton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to see this added so that we could implement "Asynchronous Triggers". Without this, our options are:
        1) Actual Triggers. But this isn't an option because this introduces unacceptable performance delays inside of our transactions.
        2) A "poor man's queue in the database" with external asynchronous processes that poll tables in the database to determine if a message should be inferred. Because of the external nature and additional moving parts, this exponentially increases the delayed effect of this asynchronous trigger and greatly increases the complexity of the solution and maintenance/support efforts.

• Todd Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use the service broker to feed real time data changes to our data warehouse w/o impacting the performance of the original SQL update.

• David Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We started to migrate some web apps from on-prem to azure, but we ran into the roadblock of Service Broker and SqlDependency not being supported. We need a means to call our .NET code when changes are made to specifiable data in a db. Either Service Broker and SqlDependency OR .NET Framework CLR integration with CLR Triggers OR some new and improved means.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base