How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Need the ability to set a time zone per Azure sql database

We need to be able to set the timezone for an Azure sql or DW database. This should be a database option.

Now we are faced with changing all of our code which references getdate() and similar date functions.
We shouldn't have this extra difficulty in moving to a cloud database.

426 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Mark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Deepesh Gosavi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Temporary solution was shared by team, need to have permanent solution for SQL database. In such case Financial organisation will take back foot. Microsoft should rectify this issue and enable configuration of Time zone as per Country.

• Wiwit Khristianto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please priority this mods, as it is a fundamental configuration. i can not believe that it was missed in the design stage of azure hyperscale.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We absolutely need do be able to use the getdate() function as it was working in an on premise environment... Our sotware has hundreds of modules. It is unthinkable of having to change all getdate() calls for a call to a udf to mimic the old getdate(). Can someone from Microsoft tell us if this will be done in the single database instances same as it has been fixed in the Managed instances?

• Vandana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - is this also planned for Azure SQL or just SQL Managed Instance on Azure? thanks.

• George Camp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide the ability to configure time at the database level for Platform as a service customers.
    WE have just gone live with our application and this unseen "feature" of ONLY UTC time is killing us!

• Marc L. Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? I've gotten all excited about SQL MI, carefully combed through the limitations (didn't see any timezone issue), sold my company, created a test host, started testing, and BOOM!

Please, please, don't make me build up a SQL clustered set.

• Yomi Bazuaye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to hear that this feature has been added to the backlog. In my opinion this feature should have been available out of the box.

At this point in time (Late Aug 2018) can anyone from the SQL engineering team give an ETA for the availability of this feature?

• Danny Lankar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have now come across this issue and YES We NEED to be able to set a timezone per azure sql database.

• Mark Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing this in SQL MI would be helpful. However, we need it in Azure SQL Database as well.

• Sajith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We moved our db to paas with lot of expectation , and we moved back all our instances to iaas because of the timezone issue. And, this is not mentioned in Limitation documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/postgresql/concepts-limits .Though application layer maintain the required timezone for those queries pass through , big application like ours uses many reports which fire direct db queries, sometime we import data directly to staging tables , support team executes all basic queries against time.

• Drazen Sumic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We understand the functional ask and that is a significant pain point when migrating the app to the cloud. We have added this feature to the plan for the SQL Database Managed Instance, and funded the engineering work on it. The setting planned is at the instance level (set at the instance creation time), which means it would be applied to all time-zone sensitive functionality on the Managed Instance, so getdate() but also other appropriate functions, system views, etc. I can't share a timeline publicly yet.

SQL engineering team.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base