How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Track SQL DB restore progress

Tracking in detail the restore of a SQL DB is mandatory in order to provide a transparent customer support. At this moment, one can only see if a restore is running (1%) or finished, but the restore progress in percentages cannot be seen. The only reply I can give at this moment to my customers about when the database restore will be finished, is somewhere within 24h.

179 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nele G. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TiredOfLameExcuses commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2019...even in the 1900's you could see the progress of a restore with a flat file database. Even a dmv would be nice. The number one question is "how long will it take before I can use the restored copy". I'll forward this "under review" response next time I'm asked by management to put a DB in Azure. During a duress situation, that question gets asked every 5 minutes...and of course it is my fault that I can't give a real answer.

• Karl Burgdorf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Count me in on wanting this feature. Please, with a cherry on top!
    Even medium sized databases I'm working with (60GB) can take a long time to restore. I don't mind how long it takes, I just need a rough ETA so I know when to come back to get it, and of course to know the job is still running ok.

• Simon Litchfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is "RESTORE DATABASE". If we're using it, chances are we want to know it's working. If I leave the screen I don't even know if it's still running let alone progress.

• Piotr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very basic feature and it should be implemented from the get go.

Feedback and Knowledge Base