How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

R for Azure SQL DB

It would be great if SQL Server R Services feature of SQL Server 2016 comes to Azure SQL DB as well. I see a great potential for this integration and would enable advanced analytics scenarios on PaaS seamlessly

279 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Veerendra Thati shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eddie Montes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to have this. It's a must. Many simply things could be done with this integration.

• Nellie Gustafsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone,

We are working intensely to enable SQL Server Machine Learning Services in Azure SQL DB. Our goal is to launch a preview with R during this spring.

I am very interested in getting in touch with you to understand your requirements better. Please fell free to reach out to me on negust@microsoft.com, if you are willing to share some feedback on specific requirements I am investigating.

Thanks,
        Nellie

• Erik A. Brandstadmoen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us that is on the SQL Azure platform, the capabilities when compared to SQL on-prem are very limited when it comes to Machine Learning support. SQL Server 2016 got lots of R capabilites, where you can run R scripts in-database. Now, with SQL Server 2017, Python support is added too. But we don't see this functionality being introduced in SQL Azure.

We are building more and more machine learning into our solultion, and using R, exposes via a REST endpoint. Today, we use AzureML for this, which is OK, but not really the best solution when it comes to a pure R solution.

It would be great for us if we could run our R scripts in-database in SQL server, as I understand you can now do in SQL Server on-prem, to avoid the complexity when it comes to error handling, community support (the intersection of people using AzureML and people making enterprise application is extremely small), speed (AzureML prediction is dead-slow compared to e.g. local dev box with Microsoft R Open), etc.

• 増谷修 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's very important to provide R batch run on Azure data pipeline. We need managed service to deal with R rather than RServer or Power BI.

Feedback and Knowledge Base