How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Bring SQL Databases (MS SQL Database as a Service) to Azure Stack

When is comes to app development on PaaS platforms, Databases and DBaaS are "core" & "can't-live-without".

I see them already included in first release ;)

238 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Duane Kithinji shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments of Jan d'Engelbronner. This may be a dealbreaker for some customers

• Jan d'Engelbronner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SQL Database in Azure is a must needed service.
        We are running a service in Azure that uses SQL Database. Customers do have a requirement that data should not be stored outside their country. And azure datacenter are not presented in every country. To have a minimal impact on the service, the provisioning and management a SQL Database service in Azure Stack is the ideal solution.

• Hans Olav Stjernholm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the traditional Microsoft Stack developers, the Azure Stack without SQL Databases is close to pointless. Here's the feeling I currently get:

Do you love steak? You want it your way? In your own house? Here you go: Vegan tofu steak!
        I guess it's technically a steak, but man that's not the same thing!

• Rickard Öh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok so the white paper I refered to only describes TP1? I thought it was referring to the final release in q4.

• AdminAzure Stack Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Duane, Rickard

In Azure Stack TP1, customers can use the same Azure SQL Database API they use today in Azure to perform a limited set of CRUD commands.
        For the type of web applications that will be supported in Azure Stack TP1, this should provide similar value to what found in Azure DBaaS.
        This functionality is made possible using technology proven in Azure Pack which leverages SQL Server under the covers and enables it to behave more like "database as a service".
        Higher level features offered through Azure DBaaS like multi tenancy or high availability and recovery options would require independent use of SQL Server features like Resource Governor and AlwaysOn.
        As we move past the first preview milestone of Azure Stack towards the more complete production ones, we will explore delivery of additional key services for a seamless Azure Stack experience.
        Feel free to let us know which services Azure DBaaS offers you think are the most important ones!

The Azure Stack team

Feedback and Knowledge Base