How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Support for DML operations with external tables in Azure

I've seen it around in a few places that this might be something that's in the works. Is that certain, and is there an ETA on its release? The elastic database queries are a huge improvement, but our application would benefit greatly from write access as well.

146 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
A J shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jaime Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi, i solve this issue with

exec sp_execute_remote

creating a SP on the remote DB and calling from the ORIGIN

• Stacy May commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does unplanned mean that it was planned at one time? Is so, can we get it replanned?

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointing to see after 2.5 years people saying this is an issue that it's not currently planned. This would help reduce a lot of external ETL applications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a feature dev on priority .. I have a staging db and a DW. Created external tables in DW ...A simple merge statement diesn't work.

I don't know the rationale to NOT providing this ASAP.
    This is as true pain point for many.

• Igor Chmil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Msg. 46519. DML Operations are not supported with external tables.

The error message description is incorrect. In DML "M" stands for Manipulation. SELECT statement is a DML statement and it IS allowed against the external tables.

• fortboise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm now several days and about five workarounds into what should have been a one-line task,
    INSERT INTO db2..desttable SELECT * FROM db1..sourcetable

The constraints built into Azure seem arbitrary, and are a huge productivity issue for us. Please fix this.

• Anil Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we have any ETA on this when DML operations are available on Azure SQL DB external tables?

• Shane Seibert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a huge improvement on our ability to adopt PAAS db's for our portal implementation with power_bi. We need multiple DBs for assembly vs direct-query targets and getting the data from one to another after it's assembled would be much simpler with this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to know this as well. When doing ETL and staging data in a seperate database, the Elastic component becomes less useful unless I can update data through it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base