How can we improve Azure SQL Database?

Opt-out of Query Performance Insight and drop Query Store data

Make it possible to completely opt-out from Query Performance Insight and drop Query Store data.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Andreas Bohn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Simon Weaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this should be automatically done after I import a new BACPAC
    it's a joke when it tells me my top queries are BULK INSERTs from my initial import!

• Borko Novakovic (MSFT) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to control how much data Query Store adds to your database, consider setting time-based retention to a lower value. Check out Best Practices article for that: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt604821.aspx

You can always clear Query Store Data with the following Transact SQL statement (run it from SQL Server Management Studio, SQL Server Data Tools or any other application that can connect to Azure SQL DB):

ALTER DATABASE CURRENT SET QUERY_STORE CLEAR;

SQL Server Management Studio 2016 (SSMS) offers a UI form for Query Store configuration, enablement and disablement. In order to use it, open Properties form for your database and navigate to Query Store tab on the left-hand side.

If you want to opt-out of Query performance just disable Query Store:

ALTER DATABASE CURRENT SET QUERY_STORE = OFF;

Again, this can be done from SSMS UI form.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a classic case of a really dangerous and performance-hungry feature that can be enabled but not disabled in the portal.

• Andreas Bohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it possible to drop Query Performance Insight's Query Data Store. It adds a considerable amount of data to the database and we want get rid of it after we don't need it anymore.

Feedback and Knowledge Base