SQL Database

1. More granular sizing for Elastic Database Pools

Currently the sizing of Elastic Database Pools is not very granular. I'd like to be able to adjust the pool eDTU in much smaller increments, e.g. 5 or 10 DTUs at a time.

Let's say I have a premium elastic pool serving say 20 databases with 125 eDTU and I'm happy with the performance. I get a few more customers so need to add say 3 databases ... there's no way to grow my pool to support the additional load. Either I pay twice as much to have a 250 eDTU pool or I put up with fewer average resources…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add ability to rename SQL Azure database

Would be useful to right-click and rename a SQL Azure database. I tried renaming it in the VS SQL Server Object Explorer, but that broke the portal -- it always hung when trying to navigate to the database.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [bug] SQL Azure Database Information Not Available in Preview Portal

Experiencing a repeated bug in the preview portal with Azure SQL Database. Occasionally after altering the service level tier of an existing database that database no longer appears in the Portal UI. The server will still appear, and you can drill down to the database name, but you are never able to access the database details or monitoring metrics via the preview portal. The standard portal works correctly and displays the correct database information.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow any SQL user to create database as copy

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh852669.aspx one of the backup strategies proposed is to copy the database. If that is what is proposed officially, then you can count on people writing scripts, services, worker roles, etc to back up the database. Using the equivalent of the SA to do so is just unacceptable solution. If my code is compromised then I am exposing usernames/passwords (encrypted or not). Furthermore, it's not like I can just remove that user and replace him for some other user.

We should be allowed to set specific roles to any users so they can copy the database.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When creating a database don't reset the server configuration when changing the subscription

When you create a new SQL database, the first item in the list is the server. If you have not created a server before (or are creating a new one), you have to fill in a bunch of details like admin name, password, etc. The last item in the list of 'steps' is the subscription to associate it with.

After you have configured everything, you then realize that you're on the wrong subscription so you change it and the page RESETS all of the configuration for the server step (maybe others too). Why it does this is beyond me. I…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Azure SQL Database serverless manually pause and resume

It would useful to have the possibility to manually pause and resume a serverless sql database

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Alert when SQL Performance Advisor has new suggestions

These seem promising, but we have to remember to go check for them. It would be nice to get an alert when a new suggestion is generated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base