SQL Database

1. Support sending database/server audit logs to OMS Log Analytics

SQL Server/Database currently supports writing audit logs to Blob storage. Then something like https://github.com/Microsoft/Azure-SQL-DB-auditing-OMS-integration needs to be used to process audit log files into OMS Log Analytics. It would be really nice if Azure SQL Server/Database audit logging supported sending audit logs directly to an OMS Log Analytics workspace.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Alphanumeric ORDER BY

Please add support of alpha numeric ORDER BY of text values. A good sample you will find here: http://www.davekoelle.com/alphanum.html
    Without this feature is impossible to made a paging (skip, take) of for example file names.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Event Grid for triggers and/or service broker external activator

I know Azure Event Grid has been released as preview. SQL Server has features like triggers and service broker that are not currently supported by Azure SQL.

Do you happen to support Azure Event Grid on Azure SQL so that we can implement triggers and/or service broker external activator?

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Java API for Azure SQL Database Elastic Scale

For Java shops, we need an API for Azure SQL Database Elastic Scale. We already have too much code and want to minimize the amount of refactoring to move up to Azure SQL Database. We're very interested in Elastic Scale. Without a Java API, this a non-starter for us.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mapping of Azure services to the vNet

Company security restrictions do not allow to open port 80, 443, 1433, ... (or other) from a vNet / VPN to the Internet.
    Mapping Azure services with a public IP to a vNet should become a general feature (not only for SQL as requested in the following request).
    See also https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217321-sql-database/suggestions/5537689-allow-sql-database-to-join-virtual-network-vpn

vNet internal dynamic or static IP / name + port -- mapping -> Public dynamic IP / name + port

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Set the time zone for each database at the database level instead of OS level.

I have clients across the country that I want to encourage to use Azure. Without changing a lot of code in the program I need to set the time zone on each database.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. elastic pool, ability to configure max eDTUs per database

Ability to configure max eDTUs per database on Standard and premium elastic pool.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Implement Optimize for Ad Hoc Workloads Option for Azure Database

Please consider implementing a feature to allow turning on the optimize for ad hoc workloads option on a per-database basis for Azure databases. Right now this option is only available in on-premises SQL Server on a server-wide basis, where it's a great help for managing plan cache memory when dealing with 3rd party applications where we have no control over the SQL that gets thrown at the database. It would be great to be able to enable this option on a per-database basis in Azure. If you decide to implement this feature, then it would seem logical that turning the…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Azure SQL DB Gateway IP address change notifications

Since the IP addresses listed in the documentation below are subject to change, proactive notifications should be provided to ensure users can make necessary updates to their environment before changes occur. This could be an email to affected resource owners, or a notification within the Portal such as through Service Health or Resource Health.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-connectivity-architecture

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide method for accurately determining log free space

Currently none of the existing methods for determining log space free give a true value when using vCore. With vCore you are allotted a fix amount of space for your logs when you set the storage size. For example, if you specify 1TB of storage, you get 300GB allocated for log. However, if you run something like DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE) you will see the Log Size (MB) and Log Space Used (%) values fluctuate wildly. The Log Size value may say 4947 (4MB) but the Log Space Used shows 99.92%. This leads you to believe that your 300GB of log space…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make target service objective for scaling operation available via SQL tables/views

Target service objective was available in slo_database_objectives in V11, but it not available in V12.
    This makes admin tasks harder.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Support direct upload of bacpac to new or existing database

Please allow us to support a direct upload of a bacpac file both when making a new database or on top of an existing database. Unless there's something I'm missing, to restore on top of an existing database I have to
    1) move the bacpac into storage
    2) make a new database from storage
    3) rename/delete the old
    4) rename the new

This process is VERY annoying.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add ability to rename SQL Azure database

Would be useful to right-click and rename a SQL Azure database. I tried renaming it in the VS SQL Server Object Explorer, but that broke the portal -- it always hung when trying to navigate to the database.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SQL full text search, third party filters

Search indexing of PDF files is an essential feature which on SQL Server is (currently) only possible through installing a third party filter - which is not possible on Azure SQL databases

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Read-scale and cross-region database replication

I am a Principal Program Manager in Azure SQL Database. I want to provide better support for the following scenario.

I have a web application that is currently deployed in Europe. We expect the business to grow so we will need to expand to other regions. I am using SQL Azure for my DB. The data is relatively small (<10GB) so I don’t want to deal with data partitioning. Also having a single data image will help me with the analytics. I would like to replicate the data to all regions and setup smart routing so that the web front…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow transact-sql jobs for all service tiers not just elastic scale databases

Allow transact-sql jobs for all service tiers not just Elastic Scale databases

Recently, you rolled out Elastic Database Jobs for Elastic Scale databases which gave users the ability to write t-sql jobs to run on databases. This functionality should be extended to all service tiers so that all users can take advantage of this functionality. While writing jobs using Powershell Runbooks is a serviceable workaround, many organisations have a large amount of jobs that are written in t-sql that would be very difficult to migrate. Giving all users the ability to write t-sql jobs would help to remove this barrier…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. True SQL DB capabilities on Azure Stack

We as service providers have demand from the market for PaaS SQL on Azure Stack. The current RP model is not sufficient.
    As a service provider you want to limit and measure the performance per customer.
    As a service provider you want to limit perfomance within a plan
    As a customer you want to select the Performance and DB size when deploying a SQL PaaS database.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Defect: Server name is already used

Defect:

I created a new server and new database in Azure SQL. I had to delete that server and now I am trying to create server with same name. But it says that server name is already used. I could also reproduce same scenario.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow SQL Database to be a subscriber in transactional push sql replication

Now it is virtually impossible to keep an on-premise database and an Sql Database in sync. E.g. With Microsoft Sync Framework, which is batch based and not transactional, tables can be out of sync when syncing.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback here. We are always thinking about how we can improve the integration between SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. There are a number of investments that we are working on.

We’d love to learn more about your specific scenario. Can you please email me at guyhay at Microsoft.com.
    Thanks Guy

20. About using special symbol such as # in Database name

Currently, creating with Database name # does not work properly on Azure Portal.
    We will seek urgent measures.
    There are many requests for this content.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base