SQL Database

1. Allow ElasticPool SQL Database to join P2S Virtual Network (VPN) - Round 2

This is round 2 of the idea posted here:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217321-sql-database/suggestions/5537689-allow-sql-database-to-join-virtual-network-vpn?tracking_code=704e9fed32d702f27033e3c1be63d789

which was closed since SQL databases now have "virtual network" endpoints. However, these endpoints still do not work with P2S VPN connections using Azure VPN Gateway, so I don't know why this idea was closed as completed.

This means that we either need to create our own workarounds, such as SSH tunnels via VMs inside Azure, or we need to keep using the IP whitelisting method (the latter of which defeats the whole purpose of using a VNET-based access control). In addition, security auditors don't look kindly on databases with…

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow DNS alias masking for SQL Azure Database Server

We would like to be able to take an azure sql server's instance name (server01.database.windows.net) and add an alias entry to our internal DNS for resolution which aligns to our existing set of onpremise standards.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Sql database password force change on first login

Azure SQL Database needs a feature, like SQL Server, to enforce password expiration, and MUST_CHANGE for SQL Logins

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multiple readable secondaries with Failover Group

We are currently using Auto-Failover Group feature. We have primary in US west coast and single read-only secondary in east coast. We would like to have additional read capable secondaries in Europe and Asia to improve read performance on our geo-distributed application.

It will be good if multiple secondaries from different regions are allowed to be added to a failover group. In general, just Geo-replication doesn’t serve our purpose because of all the reasons for why someone would need a failover group:
    - Mission critical data so we want better availability and reliability for writers
    - We don’t want to…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. More granular sizing for Elastic Database Pools

Currently the sizing of Elastic Database Pools is not very granular. I'd like to be able to adjust the pool eDTU in much smaller increments, e.g. 5 or 10 DTUs at a time.

Let's say I have a premium elastic pool serving say 20 databases with 125 eDTU and I'm happy with the performance. I get a few more customers so need to add say 3 databases ... there's no way to grow my pool to support the additional load. Either I pay twice as much to have a 250 eDTU pool or I put up with fewer average resources…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bacpac import needs the ability to add database in elastic pool

Currently, the bacpac import functionality will not let you add the database in an elastic pool. You need to set the tier first during the import. We have an application that let end user add a database from the bacpac file and we need to set the tier then import the bacpac then add it to the elastic pool. The ability to add the database during the bacpac import process to existing elastic pool will save us time and effort. This feature is very important to us users as we can have the flexibility to either add the database from…

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Master Data Services (MDS) configured to Azure SQL.

Master Data Services (MDS) currently does not support having Azure SQL DB as it Data source. We have entity store on PaaS and MDS on IaaS and we want to MDS to be configured to Azure SQL instead of on-prem SQL.
    Or even better to have MDS as PaaS.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatic Fail-over to secondary region similar to Global DocumentDB

Recently, Microsoft introduced a feature "Global DocumentDB database" along with "multi-homing APIs" which provides transparent & automatic fail-over to secondary database with no human intervention.

It will be helpful to have a similar feature for Azure SQL Database where users can enable Geo-Replication and will not have to worry about manual fail-over to secondary in case when Primary / master is unavailable

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. DQS - Data Quality Services

Provide a Data Quality feature for SQL Azure that may be able to use third party providers from Azure Marketplace.

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Recovery Model to be changed to SIMPLE in Azure SQL Database

According to this article (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/azuresqldbsupport/2018/12/28/lesson-learned-50-adding-pk-led-to-transaction-log-full-error/) the recovery model of a Azure SQL Database cannot be altered from the default option FULL. In a very data intensive setup, this blows up the transaction log -> the LOG IO percentage in portal is at 100% all the time. Allowing the SIMPLE recovery model should improved the performance significantly.

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support DateTimeOffset data type in memory-optimized tables

Add support for DateTimeOffset data type in memory optimized tables

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. limit dtu query

when i try via back service to do a background process my dtu reach 100% and my end user suffer. when i try to create/rebuild index the same occur. it will be nice to have the ability to pass via options some command to limit the dtu of that process. e.g. something like maxdop ( which does not work)

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. View & Edit SQL Server database data

In the old portal it was possible to view and edit the data of an SQL Server database.
    This feature was very compelling to me, and I'd like to see the implementation of it, or at least a temporary reference to it meanwhile.
    Otherwise I have to go back and use the old portal.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’re working on a lot of great stuff and will continue to expand the functionality in the preview portal to match the full portal over time. You’ll see things like this become available over time.

14. design query in editor...

add the ability to use the designer editor to azure sql tables and views.
    it's helping a lot with choosing fields in seconds and much more...

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Support the dbmail.

The feature dbmail in SQL 2005 makes email sending much easier, should keep it in SQL Azure.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. makta

Please improve the time zone of Azure SQL Database so that users can change it.

When migrating to Azure SQL Database, it takes a lot of time to change all the programs of the application.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Invoke-sqlcmd with AD - Universal with MFS support

Add support for Powershell sqlserver module to query SQL Database with "AD - Universal with MFS support". It appears that only SSMS has this capability.

Is there a work around to connect to SQL DB via command line using AD?

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Would like to deny schema access to sql azure database owner (not db_owner role)

Once a sql azure database is created by a login, we would like to be able to stop this login from seeing data in the schemas. Row security can be used to hide the data but a user logged in with this login can turn the row security off and then get access to the data.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Expose Resource Governor for SQL Azure

If we had the ability to define certain connection DTU limits in SQL Azure it would facilitate common scenarios like using the OLTP database for other, less important requests like reporting without fearing a long running report will cause the application using the OLTP side of things getting slow or unresponsive.

Basically, just give us access to Resource Governor from on-prem SQL Server.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. to allow that synonyms in Azure SQL Database can reference other Azure SQL Databases (in order to use cross database joins from Azure SQL DB

to allow that synonyms in Azure SQL Database can reference to other Azure SQL Databases (in order to use cross database joins from Azure SQL DB)

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base