SQL Database

1. Don't offer a useless student subscription

Why is "import database" the only thing greyed out in the sql server interface? Why is there no obvious way to use or populate the database? Why am I told that "You cannont use this Wizard to move databases from SQL Server instances to SQL Azure." when I try to populate my database from SQL Sever? This has been a huge waste of my time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expose SQL Server and Database tags via the REST API When Listing Resource

Please expose SQL Server and Database tags via the REST API when listing the resource i.e. https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscription-id}/resourceGroups/{resource-group-name}/providers/Microsoft.sql/servers?api-version={api-version}

The documentation shows that a tag JSON object should be returned when the resource is listed but this isn't the case; tags are available if the resource is queried directly though.
    i.e. https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscription-id}/resourceGroups/{resource-group-name}/providers/Microsoft.sql/servers/{server-name}?api-version={api-version}

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Common DNS name for Azure SQL

SQL AzureDB is built apon Always On Availability Groups from what I have seen in SQL Server Presentations. Part of the SQL Server Availability groups there is a Common DNS name which sits over the top of all the SQL Databases in the Availability group, you connect to this "Common DNS Name" so in the event of a failover, the client connections get automatically redirected to the correct server/db.
    SQL AzureDB does not present this as an option to connect to via the Azure portal, which is why I was talking to the GM for Azure Cat team, which he…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Offer Custom SQL Database Tiers

Offer the ability to customize a SQL Database Tier. For example, I have 500 clients that are migrating to the cloud. Azure is great. Each client only needs the S1 Tier. Except 250GB is not nearly enough space. My clients need at least 2TB and this feature should charge per GB like SQL storage does.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Increase limit of 50 databases per Premium Elastic Pool

The limit of 50 databases per premium pool might be fine if you have large databases, but for our use cases we have relatively small databases and many of them. This means we hit the 50 database limit quite quickly. We need brief periods of high performance for our databases so the Standard pools aren't sufficient.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Give more power in SQL database

Give more power for creating tables and viewing the data. Or give the ide for creating the tables in azure in management studio rather than coding the create table structure.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. write an article about the cost efficiency of using an elastic SQL DB instead of a single SQL DB

While there is a lot of technical detail about the pricing of various Azure services, it's sometimes difficult to gauge the tangible benefits of each. Specifically with SQL DBs, when does an elastic DB become more cost efficient than a single one when the aim is to still have just one DB? If DTU usage is low during the year because you are in development or otherwise, then does that in turn suggest that under certain loads, elastic is more cost efficient than single?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add brute force to SQL Azure Threat Detection

Add brute force detection to SQL Azure threat protection so you can be aware when your DB is getting hacked. I'm sure Azure already has protection in place for this and I wouldn't wait for the end user to take action though it may be nice if Azure took action by say not allowing the user/IP to connect for x minutes if the issue was severe enough and then allow the Azure admin. to review the email with the threat and decide to "block" forever and then give a means to "undo" that if necessary.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add more firewall rules to larger plans

We are migrating a windows application that uses a rack space provider SQL server where we had unlimited firewall rules to Azure SQL to make a scalable and sellable product.

We have implemented a web service that allows us to programmatically open the firewall from an authenticated source.

Unfortunately we have hit 128 rule limit, we don’t want to open up the access as we see IP firewall as a key component of security. I could understand if S0 was limited to 128 rules, but we are on P1 now and still have the same limit.

It would make sense…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Security of Upgrading Sql Azure Database through powershell

Security of Upgrading Sql Azure Database through powershell :
    Hi Team,
    I am using the power shell script to upgrade or downgrade my Sql Azure Database. PFA file for the same however this command doesn't ask anything related to sql server credential, subscription or anything. Is it not a security threat if anyone just know my sql server name and database?
    Now try to understand from this aspect, in big team people are aware of connection strings but we don't expose sql server credential, restrict IP or sometime gives Read only access but these users can even upgrade the tier.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I think azure sql server should be able to convert a .mdf file to its kind of database or should be able to accommodate it

I'm working on starting a community banking program and company by August and I'm currently trying out platforms. I found OpenCBS an open source micro finance software, to be very useful but I'm looking to be able to have the database in azure Sql server. I kept getting an error message that the .mdf database creation failed.

Azure Sql server should be able to convert the database extension or have it in a cup.

This is very important for me. Thank you Team Microsoft

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow for custom hostnames

Provide the ability to use custom hostnames for Azure SQL DB's. Even if it's just CNAME to the *.database.net hostname.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. OPENROWSET and/or better tools for importing Excel or Access worksheets.

I am a Mergers & Acquisition financial executive. I often work with large datasets that are not uniform or normalized. In the past, Microsoft Access was my best tool to relate large flat files to other datasets and create reports through Excel. Azure's SQL database is fast becoming a great tool to replace Access. It's also better integrated with Mac Excel 2016. However, Access has a lot of nice automation features that can't be duplicated in Azure SQL database. The OPENROWSET function would be a great feature allowing for importing directly from Excel worksheets and would make automating a lot…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SSMS Formatting

CTRL+K+D should automatically uppercase all SQL keywords in addition to formatting code layout.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Alert when import/export is completed

An alert should be sent when the database import or the database export is completed. Now, you can only guess.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Alphanumeric ORDER BY

Please add support of alpha numeric ORDER BY of text values. A good sample you will find here: http://www.davekoelle.com/alphanum.html
    Without this feature is impossible to made a paging (skip, take) of for example file names.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. limit elastic job parallelism

Add the ability to limit the parallelism of elastic jobs. Many jobs will use some amount of DTU resources, so without a limit (of say 2 or 4 parallel databases at a time) it starts them on every database simultaneously. This drives the pool to maximum utilization and keeps it there, effectively taking all databases in the pool offline until the jobs are done.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Cannot Create a SQL Server (As a Service) in New Portal

In the old portal we had the option of creating a new SQL Server (As a Service) and then import the our Database using SQL Management Studio (Check the Image 2).
    However in the new portal we do not have the option of creating a new SQL server and only way we can create a new SQL server is by creating a SQL DB and in that wizard selecting a new Server name.

Will there be a workaround apart from that or will Microsoft has a genuine reason to remove that option?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring SQL Databases (MS SQL Database as a Service) to Azure Stack

When is comes to app development on PaaS platforms, Databases and DBaaS are "core" & "can't-live-without".

I see them already included in first release ;)

241 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. external table query plan improvements

External tables only support good query plans on the source when the source is: - a table not a view

- single filtering on primary key

It would be very usefull if the transmission will work also with views and more important with more well formed seletive filtering

Example:
    Source table has a start-int and an end-int.

Example:
    The query to get all values where start-int is larger or equal then the lookup value work good. But if the question is done to where the start-int is larger or equal then the lookup and the end-int is smaller then the…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base