SQL Database

1. Create Database [X] As Copy Of [Y] In [Tier]

I am currently using a P2 instance for my live system - obviously there are a number of visitors using this site so when I update it I want to be sure it will work. As a result, I will always run the CREATE DATABASE [staging_X] AS COPY OF [Y] and then run scripts / test a release against that.

After a few minutes this is up and running. However, this will create a P2 instance at a General Availability price of around £40! Since it's only me that's using it I could get away with a Web edition or…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add allowed IP - adresses functionallity

I am missing the management off allowed IP adresses. Please add this in the new portal!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Grant access to Azure DB via host name (reverse DNS) instead of IP address

Clients behind dynamic IP addresses are unable to make use of Azure DB for desktop and server application because I cannot know the IP address that their workstations might be calling from.
    I can use DynDNS to maintain their external host name but good luck to anyone who wants to use DB sync or to direct access the Azure DB databases in this type of environment.

Static IP is not available to many of our clients as they are in remote locations that only have 3G/4G coverage

177 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show clarification of the additional charges when enabling automated export of SQL database

When you click to enable SSL on an Azure Website, the portal warns you about the additional charges involved. When enabling automated export of an SQL database, I think the same functionality should be added. A daily automated export of a database will double the cost, which when on the top performance tiers can be a significant amount.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. View & Edit SQL Server database data

In the old portal it was possible to view and edit the data of an SQL Server database.
    This feature was very compelling to me, and I'd like to see the implementation of it, or at least a temporary reference to it meanwhile.
    Otherwise I have to go back and use the old portal.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’re working on a lot of great stuff and will continue to expand the functionality in the preview portal to match the full portal over time. You’ll see things like this become available over time.

6. Choosing a server for Azure SQL Database shows old deleted servers

Choosing a server for an Azure SQL Database shows servers that were deleted long ago

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make SQL Azure a database option for SharePoint farms running in Azure IaaS

We have our SharePoint 2013 on Azure IaaS and we would like to use Azure SQL for our databases instead of running SQL Server VMs.

We'd also like to use SQL Azure for our Access Services databases. Office 365 does this already.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. mysql password

Allow us to change/reset MySQL user passwords.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bug: Bacpac file cannot be imported to Basic/Standard tiers

Bacpac file can be imported only to Web/Business tiers of SQL Azure.
    When trying to do this to Basic/Standard tiers the following errora appears:

BadRequest <html version="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 2.0//EN" xml:lang="en" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><HEAD><TITLE>Request Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><DIV id="content"><P class="heading1"><B>Error Status Code:</B> 'BadRequest'</P><P><B>Details: </B>Error encountered during the service operation. ; Exception Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dac.Services.ServiceException:Unable to authenticate request; </P></DIV></BODY></html>

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback, and I’m sorry your having problems importing a Bacpac file. Can you please verify your username/password match between the source DB and the Azure SQL Database that you’re trying to import into. These should be the same SQL credentials that you would use in SSMS, APIs to connect to the Azure SQL Database.

Send me email at guyhay@microsoft.com with you subscription GUID, logical servername, DB name, and how the import/export request was generated (portal? manage.windowsazure.com?, API).

Thanks Guy

10. Allow using Query Notifications with Azure SQL Databases

Please allow using Query Notifications with Azure SQL Databases.
    In combination with OutputCache having SqlDependency set the Query Notifications mechanism should reduce web sites load and increase pages response time.

178 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Problem with the "Allowed IP Addresses" page

We currently have several IP addresses registered with spaces in the name. The validation on the names is claiming these are invalid. However according to the validation message these names should be fine as they do not contain any of the disallowed characters or end with a '.'.

Please either update the validation message to state that spaces are not allowed or fix the validation that is causing this problem.

I have attached an image of the validation message.

Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make it easy to keep database connection details out of source code

I want to avoid putting my production username/password for the Azure DB in source control where all other developers can see it and thereby have read/write access. This is not easy today. Couldn't it work similar to the way Azure credentials are transmitted during a deploy? Or maybe we could store this data in Azure tied to the account, and copied into new instances as they are spun up?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. REST service for the enumeration of SQL Azure databases on a SQL Azure server.

Currently it is not possible to enumerate the databases inside a SQL Azure server, please add a REST service to query databases inside each server.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Preview portal needs improvement on Database Server Management

As you try to manage Database Servers in the preview portal you will be see a list of server that you are able to use. The problem is that as i administrator i have to manage on more than 3 subscriptions at the moment and i get a list of databases with the "complicate" names.
    So for management purpose i like to see an improvement on how the Database names appears. I think i a good to see as feature the ability to add a secondary name in databases for Internal use only
    (I don't care for domain name of…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Increase the max length of a SQL Aazure administrative password

The maximum length of a SQL Azure administrator's password is eight characters. That's not secure enough. It should be at least double that.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support for migrating existing SSIS ETL packages

Migrate SSIS ETL packages, which load data to my SQL Azure staging database, to a new ETL service in Windows Azure

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow any SQL user to create database as copy

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/hh852669.aspx one of the backup strategies proposed is to copy the database. If that is what is proposed officially, then you can count on people writing scripts, services, worker roles, etc to back up the database. Using the equivalent of the SA to do so is just unacceptable solution. If my code is compromised then I am exposing usernames/passwords (encrypted or not). Furthermore, it's not like I can just remove that user and replace him for some other user.

We should be allowed to set specific roles to any users so they can copy the database.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer fails on SQL Azure if destination table is temporary

SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer fails on SQL Azure if destination table is temporary.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 30

<=-=Oct 25 2011 2:38PM=-=>

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for reporting this issue. SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer does not work in this case because SQL Azure currently does not support temp table. We will route this bug to SQL Azure team so that they can follow up with you.

Young Gah Kim
    Development Lead
    ADO.NET Managed Providers and DataSet Team

<=-=Apr 19 2012 6:15PM=-=>

Hello Andrey,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. The problem is due to the fact that SQL Azure doesn’t support 3-part names for stored procedure calls. In this case, the driver/provider use tempdb.sys.sp_* syntax to access certain stored procedures that provide metadata about objects and these calls fail. We are looking at resolving the issue & enabling 3-part names for tempdb calls.
    Otherwise, you can use temporary tables in SQL Azure fine – we do support it with the restriction mentioned above. Additionally, you can’t create temporary tables…

20. Enable GZip/Deflate Compression of SQL Azure OData Response

OData's AtomPub protocol is very verbose. My calculations indicate that AtomPub multiplies Data Transfer Out bytes by a factor of 8.75. (See Querying OData.org’s SQL Azure Northwind Sample Data Service: http://oakleafblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/odataorgs-sql-azure-northwind-sample.html).

Despite the Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate header, SQL Azure OData responses aren''t compressed. I agree with this comment by Scott Hanselman - failure to compress OData responses is LAME.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base