SQL Database

1. SQL full text search, third party filters

Search indexing of PDF files is an essential feature which on SQL Server is (currently) only possible through installing a third party filter - which is not possible on Azure SQL databases

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Management tool like phpMyAdmin for all created MySQL databases

I may be missing it based on my subscription level, but a management tool that you can use in the portal to manage your MySQL databases that you create. It would be just like phpMyAdmin or SQL management studio in the way you can add tables and input data into the tables.

This would be great for us users that use a laptop with a small hard drive and even a tablet to quickly populate a database and just work on the application we are creating. Just a thought though

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better message on new portal when IP address for SQL database not found

On the old portal, I at least get a message when trying to set firewall rules that the IP address of the SQL database cannot be found. On the new portal, the blade just sits there an does nothing.

Also, whatever the core problem is, it would be nice if that was fixed. I cannot connect to the SQL database with SQL Server Management Studio. Even though the database is active, and the MYSQL migration tool is currently pumping data into the database.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Change Data Capture

Allow Change Data Capture in SQL Azure

It has been available in SQL server since 2008, the jump to SQL Azure seems logical.

441 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use some of the same naming conventions for links to content as the old portal, or ADD HINTS.

It took me 20 min to find the allowed IP address to give access to the DB. "Show firewall settings" IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO "Manage allowed IP addresses". Just add the old content in parenthesis or name it the same so we are not soooo lost trying to find how to do the same thing we used to do. Then later down the road change the name to something else, but at least notify us, don't just change the name and leave us hanging to search like crazy to find stuff.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SQL database monitoring chart rarely displays data

The older site displayed a warning icon with something about unable to load management data for this resource. I've only noticed this with the database chart but it seems intermittent at best, doesn't provide much value as a dashboard tile.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. [bug] SQL Azure Database Information Not Available in Preview Portal

Experiencing a repeated bug in the preview portal with Azure SQL Database. Occasionally after altering the service level tier of an existing database that database no longer appears in the Portal UI. The server will still appear, and you can drill down to the database name, but you are never able to access the database details or monitoring metrics via the preview portal. The standard portal works correctly and displays the correct database information.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Read-scale and cross-region database replication

I am a Principal Program Manager in Azure SQL Database. I want to provide better support for the following scenario.

I have a web application that is currently deployed in Europe. We expect the business to grow so we will need to expand to other regions. I am using SQL Azure for my DB. The data is relatively small (<10GB) so I don’t want to deal with data partitioning. Also having a single data image will help me with the analytics. I would like to replicate the data to all regions and setup smart routing so that the web front…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Scale standard geo-replicated secondaries independently of the primary

Paying for the the secondary to be at the performance level the same is a waste of money. I have a database at S3, this is for reads only as it has very little writes, so having the secondary at this level is unnecessary, I know it has a discount of 25% , but this is way too expensive.
    In the event of a failover, I am quite happy to manually scale the database up to it's required level, but why do I need it at the same level as the primary?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. DONT MAKE AZURE SO ******* COMPLICATED

GO CONSULT SMARTER ASP, AND DONT MAKE AZURE SO COMPLICATED, I SPENT HOURS LOOKING HOW TO UPLOAD A SIMPLE ******* MDF DATABASE FILE TO AZURE PORTAL. FIRST I CREATED A SQL DATABASE, THEN I WANTED TO IMPORT MY DATABASE, GUESS WHAT, I NEED TO SPECIFY A STORAGE ACCOUNT, REALLY? IT IS A SIMPLE UPLOAD AND CHANGE CONNECTION STRING MATTER. PLEASE, FFS.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix the Browse SQL databases view (and PowerShell's Get-AzureResource) to return all databases

I have three SQL Azure databases on a server. After scaling up a couple of databases from S0 to S1, they each disappeared from the "SQL databases" section of portal.azure.com. The other database on the same server is still visible there. All three are still visible in the preview portal when I select "SQL servers" and click on the particular server, but when I try to drill down into one of the "hidden" databases from there, only the most basic information will populate. In particular, the Azure Resource Group shows as "Not Available".

This all happened about a week ago.…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow transact-sql jobs for all service tiers not just elastic scale databases

Allow transact-sql jobs for all service tiers not just Elastic Scale databases

Recently, you rolled out Elastic Database Jobs for Elastic Scale databases which gave users the ability to write t-sql jobs to run on databases. This functionality should be extended to all service tiers so that all users can take advantage of this functionality. While writing jobs using Powershell Runbooks is a serviceable workaround, many organisations have a large amount of jobs that are written in t-sql that would be very difficult to migrate. Giving all users the ability to write t-sql jobs would help to remove this barrier…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Persist Elastic Scale Split&Merge service status

Once e.g. a split operation is started via the elastic scale split&merge service and you accidentally close the tab you will no longer be able to access the progress of the operation. It would be great if one could see the ongoing operations once the service is reopened. (Maybe even completed ones).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. No SQL Pricing calculator

Right now you have exactly nothing in your calculator for estimating the cost of a database server in Azure! Any selection in the SQL options redirects you to the "new" VM calculator which doesn't have any options for SQL Server cost calculations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to create an SQL Server by itself (as was possible in the non-preview portal)

In the release portal I could easily create a new SQL Server by itself (no need to create a database in it immediately).

In the preview portal I can only seem to add a new SQL server as part of creating a database.

I would find it useful if I could create an SQL server independently in the preview portal.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories