SQL Database

1. Create and edit Index in SSMS

Please add the ability to create and edit an index via a gui rather than t-sql in SSMS for azure sql database v12.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback here.

For now, you can use the “Insert Snippet” menu option to help insert a code snippet for an index. You can right click in the SQL query editor window, choose “Insert Snippet”, and then choose “Index”. Once the snippet is inserted, you can use the “tab” key to cycle amongst the fields you need to fill in.

Thanks Guy and team.

2. bandwidth usage separated by database login/user or client's IP address to view sys.bandwidth_usage (Azure SQL Database V12).

Current Azure data transfer bandwidth cost per GB models is pricey. And there's no easy way to separate the cost for each tenant for a multi-tenant application. I'm using SQL database V12. The view sys.bandwidth_usage is great, it gives me the total bandwidth usage, but not separated by database login/user or client's IP address.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support direct upload of bacpac to new or existing database

Please allow us to support a direct upload of a bacpac file both when making a new database or on top of an existing database. Unless there's something I'm missing, to restore on top of an existing database I have to
    1) move the bacpac into storage
    2) make a new database from storage
    3) rename/delete the old
    4) rename the new

This process is VERY annoying.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Traffic Manager for SQL Database

The traffic manager is a great way to account for failover between web nodes in different data centers. However, an analogous paradigm doesn't exist for databases. In the premium tier, you can enable active geo-replication. However, all applications dependent on the primary either need to have their connection strings changed over when failing over between data centers, or they have to have some sophisticated retry logic built in at the application tier. It would be great if applications could point to a single, consistent endpoint and the geo-failover could be handled at a higher level the way it is with…

320 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Readable server name required

Its annoying to have the auto generated code as server name (while Azure SQL DB Creation) , provide us the readable name giving option.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow the user to disable int/bigint identity 1000/10000 increase

Reference: https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/239-sql-server-bug-ms-calls-a-feature/

Currently, the next identity value jumps automatically whenever the SQL server instance restarts. Most of us don't want that jump to happen because it'll leave thousands of unused ID numbers behind. You can only fix this problem by specifying the -T272 startup parameter for SQL Server which is not available to us Azure SQL users.

Please let us disable this "feature" easily.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add Java API for Azure SQL Database Elastic Scale

For Java shops, we need an API for Azure SQL Database Elastic Scale. We already have too much code and want to minimize the amount of refactoring to move up to Azure SQL Database. We're very interested in Elastic Scale. Without a Java API, this a non-starter for us.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. One click subscribe to notifications when long running task completes

When you initiate a long running task, such as changing SQL Azure service levels from standard to premium, upgrading a SQL Azure server to V12, etc., anything that could potentially take hours, you should be able to receive an email notification of when that task completes. On the notification panel you see when the task initiates. There could be a 'subscribe' button next to the running task that means you will be notified via email when it completes. I hate having to keep coming back to check on a long running task and this would make things a lot more…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow SQL Database to be a subscriber in transactional push sql replication

Now it is virtually impossible to keep an on-premise database and an Sql Database in sync. E.g. With Microsoft Sync Framework, which is batch based and not transactional, tables can be out of sync when syncing.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback here. We are always thinking about how we can improve the integration between SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. There are a number of investments that we are working on.

We’d love to learn more about your specific scenario. Can you please email me at guyhay at Microsoft.com.
    Thanks Guy

10. SQL database metrics do not show the instance name.

I want to pin the chart of sql metrics to my start screen for 6 sql databases. Neither the pinned version of the chart, or the detail view when you click on it show the database name. This makes it hard to know what you're looking at. You should be able to edit the title for anything you pin to the start screen.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add reseeding identity support to Azure Storage/SQL

Please allow us Azure SQL admins to change/reset the identity seed for any table.

I have two identical tables in two separate databases which I'm going to need to move the data from the one to the other here very soon. I would prefer not to have to delete the table and recreate it just to reset it the identity. In some scenarios, using DBCC CHECKIDENT is the easiest/most convenient method to do this.

Reference: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12415434/how-to-reset-identity-seed-in-sql-azure

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Have the Elastic Scale MultiShardConnection implement the IDbConnection interface

By implementing the IDbConnection interface on the MultiShardConnection we can use this to set up a database context. Most ORMs have a constructor available to set up the dbContext with an IDbConnection. This way we don't have to change the complete DAL when migrating to the Elastic Scale solution.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Bug: This resource has been removed. for existing database

I created a database, then deleted it and then created it again with the same name. Now the Sql databases list in the new portal displays this database, but if I click the database name to show its details I get the error "This resource has been removed."

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Quicker freeing up of resource names

I have 2 Azure accounts (1 personal, 1 work). In my personal account I had a SQL server named 'abc' for the sake of argument. Deleted it. Tried to recreate it in my work account and get the error 'abc' is already registered as a server name. Guess it's taking a while to realise and let me reuse.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. resource utilization chart

If I pin a resource utilization chart from a SQL DB on the start, it doesn't have the name of the DB so I cant tell which chart belongs to which SQL DB

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. On the Azure admin web page, change the positioning of timeout messages

On the Azure web portal, if an import process into SQL Azure is running long and I have to step away for an extended period of time, the timeout message that appears later completely obscures the most recent success or failure message of an ongoing import, so it is impossible to view the final result message, which can be very annoying.

The fix is simply to reposition the final timeout message as a floating window centered in the middle of the web page.

Hopefully this is not a big programming change, so please try to include this in a new…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Need to apply proper UI and proper SQL management studio. The SQL management studio needs to be like locally

Need to apply proper UI and proper SQL management studio. The SQL management studio needs to be like locally

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide Better Notification Details

Since my account reached its monthly limit (billing wise) I was locked out of from performing any additional actions. I started deleting extra databases to reduce the monthly costs and kept getting a vague error: "Failed to delete database". No details as to why this can't get deleted, no details on what I can do next, it simply leaves me locked out. This is a poor experience. I should be able to remove old databases to free up my billing.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’re thinking about ways to give you more information in notifications, so that should help you here. In the meantime, you should be able to go to the Events part on the resource group blade to see more information about why the deletion failed. You can also delete the entire group from that blade, too :-P Hope this helps!

Michael Flanakin

19. Don't ruin SQL Azure database import processes when a new browser client is released

In the middle of a lengthy (over an hour long) SQL Azure database import process, the Azure web page client, in the middle of my "Importing SQL Database" run, informed me that I needed to close and reopen my browser to get the new browser client. Doing so destroyed my import run, so I had to start over again at the very beginning. Since I had two database imports running simultaneously, the pain was doubled.

Please fix this problem by allowing users to click past this warning message without having to interrupt any processes currently running. A single OK button…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Bigger free SQL DB

I suggest you to increase free space for sql DB. MongoLab currently gives 500MB for free and this encourages me to choose this database to verify me application. I'd rather choose SQL DB but it's too small for my startup. If my startup succeed it's too late to change database.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base