SQL Database

1. Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the Browse SQL databases view (and PowerShell's Get-AzureResource) to return all databases

I have three SQL Azure databases on a server. After scaling up a couple of databases from S0 to S1, they each disappeared from the "SQL databases" section of portal.azure.com. The other database on the same server is still visible there. All three are still visible in the preview portal when I select "SQL servers" and click on the particular server, but when I try to drill down into one of the "hidden" databases from there, only the most basic information will populate. In particular, the Azure Resource Group shows as "Not Available".

This all happened about a week ago.…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow transact-sql jobs for all service tiers not just elastic scale databases

Allow transact-sql jobs for all service tiers not just Elastic Scale databases

Recently, you rolled out Elastic Database Jobs for Elastic Scale databases which gave users the ability to write t-sql jobs to run on databases. This functionality should be extended to all service tiers so that all users can take advantage of this functionality. While writing jobs using Powershell Runbooks is a serviceable workaround, many organisations have a large amount of jobs that are written in t-sql that would be very difficult to migrate. Giving all users the ability to write t-sql jobs would help to remove this barrier…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Persist Elastic Scale Split&Merge service status

Once e.g. a split operation is started via the elastic scale split&merge service and you accidentally close the tab you will no longer be able to access the progress of the operation. It would be great if one could see the ongoing operations once the service is reopened. (Maybe even completed ones).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. No SQL Pricing calculator

Right now you have exactly *nothing* in your calculator for estimating the cost of a database server in Azure! Any selection in the SQL options redirects you to the "new" VM calculator which doesn't have *any* options for SQL Server cost calculations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to create an SQL Server by itself (as was possible in the non-preview portal)

In the release portal I could easily create a new SQL Server by itself (no need to create a database in it immediately).
    In the preview portal I can only seem to add a new SQL server as part of creating a database.

I would find it useful if I could create an SQL server independently in the preview portal.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Defect: Server name is already used

Defect:

I created a new server and new database in Azure SQL. I had to delete that server and now I am trying to create server with same name. But it says that server name is already used. I could also reproduce same scenario.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SSIS ADO.Net Bulk load removes CHECK CONSTRAINT fro Azure SQL DB

Since ADO.Net is the only suggested access for Azure SQL , it would be great if Bulk insert will not remove CHECK CONSTRAINT when using ADO.NET destination. Workaround is to use OLE DB, but OLE DB is not a suggested connection for SQL Azure. Also, not using Bulk load will increase the load time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Bug? SQL Database no longer showing in portal

In the middle of customising the dashboard of Azure's (preview) portal, I changed a SQL Database tile from 2x2 to 2x1. Bad plan it seems, as the tile's database name disappeared and the tile now simply says "SQL Database". Clicking on the tile takes me to a pretty much empty blade.

More worryingly, the "all resources" no longer lists my database. The database server blade includes my problem database as being on the server (i.e. in the list of SQL databases), but clicking on the database shows me the same pretty empty blade. (The legacy portal shows the database correctly,…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "New database from export" should not allow connections to the database until all data is loaded

When I used "new database from export" the schema is immediately available and then the data is being loaded incrementally.

If I am recovering in a disaster or similar I don't want the DB online until all data is loaded and it is consistent with what was exported.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. SQL Azure V12 Database not visible in portal after subscription is temporarily disabled

I created 2 SQL Azure DBs before V12 was launched.
    I also created several v12 SQL Azure DBs last week.

On weekend my subscription expired due to MSDN $ limit exceed. I can however see the old pre-V12 DBs, VM etc in suspended state, but cannot see new V12 DB at all.

We would expect to see consistency. What am I missing ?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When creating a database don't reset the server configuration when changing the subscription

When you create a new SQL database, the first item in the list is the server. If you have not created a server before (or are creating a new one), you have to fill in a bunch of details like admin name, password, etc. The last item in the list of 'steps' is the subscription to associate it with.

After you have configured everything, you then realize that you're on the wrong subscription so you change it and the page RESETS all of the configuration for the server step (maybe others too). Why it does this is beyond me. I…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SQL Export progress not updating

Start export of a sql-database
    A progress window appears at the bottom wich updates every 30secs.

But the percentage stays at 0%

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Subscription dropdown when creating SQL Database

In portal preview I accidentally created new sql server in wrong subscription. When I try to recreate in correct subscription it now says server name is already taken.

In my numerous attempts at trying to recreate, I noticed that if I do create the server prior to selecting the subscription it then wipes out my data entry when I switch my subscription choice, which I kind of expected. Therefore I would place the Subscription dropdown prior to selecting/creating what server you want your database on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add ability to rename SQL Azure database

Would be useful to right-click and rename a SQL Azure database. I tried renaming it in the VS SQL Server Object Explorer, but that broke the portal -- it always hung when trying to navigate to the database.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Simple way to add current IP to firewall exception for SQL

Last portal has a quick start feature to quickly add firewall exceptions. New one doesn't. Or at least it's not obvious.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Re-order steps in creating a new SQL Database

Taking an Azure class now - When creating a new SQL Database, the lab instructions state to specifically set "Subscription" FIRST then "Resource Group", etc. If the order of steps are important to be done sequentially, can you just place the items in the order of importance in the UI (rather than the user going to the bottom then back to the top)?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multiple column Data Masking rule

It would be great if we can have a Data masking rule to span across multiple columns. Say, if we have a telephone number, mobile & fax number and we can have one rule for all these columns selected, it will reduce the number of rules we need to create.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tooltips/legend on SQL Azure server icons

Having upgraded my SQL azure servers to V12 in the new portal their icons have gone from green on top to amber, and don't display any tooltips or legend to explain the significance of the colour. To me amber is an alert colour, but there's nothing wrong that I can tell, everything is working fine.

Some kind of explanation of what these various non-intuitive states are would be helpful

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base