SQL Database

1. Enable PolyBase to write data directly into Azure SQL Databases by USQL

Enable PolyBase to write data directly into Azure SQL Database by USQL.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SQL Server backups to hot, cool and premium blob storage do not work.

SQL Server backups to hot, cool and premium blob storage do not work. They canonly be writen to standard storage. Otherwise there is an error:

Msg 3271, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "https://slxuscprd136sabscol01.blob.core.windows.net/coolbkp01/SLXUSE2QA96DB01testFULL20160830022634.bak:"
    Backup to URL received an exception from the remote endpoint. Exception Message: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request..

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to execute SQL statements in Resource Manager template

Hello, here are few automation use cases

1. Copy and overwrite existing database (or delete existing database). Database DB1 on server A is restored from database DB2 on server B. Currently we can copy databases using Resource Manager template but we cannot overwrite the existing database. We have to use powershell or connect using SQL Management studio to first delete the target database and then run an ARM template to copy a database.

2. Create contained user for a database after it is copied. Just like in the previous use case. We copy database via ARM template but afterwards we have to…

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Server name on Pinned SQL Server Charts

This is related to https://feedback.azure.com/forums/223579-azure-portal/suggestions/9714414-resource-name-on-pinned-charts

This time, pinned charts for replicated SQL databases: not only it is really hard to find the right database in the tile gallery resource dropdown (see azure-sql-database-replicas-tile-gallery.png) but also there is no way to distinguish charts of different database replicas (see azure-sql-database-replicas-charts.png).

Please display SQL server names as part of the database name in charts and the gallery resource dropdown.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow DNS alias masking for SQL Azure Database Server

We would like to be able to take an azure sql server's instance name (server01.database.windows.net) and add an alias entry to our internal DNS for resolution which aligns to our existing set of onpremise standards.

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Typo in security group rule

See attached picture. Choosing MS SQL as service gets port "1443" instead of "1433".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. R for Azure SQL DB

It would be great if SQL Server R Services feature of SQL Server 2016 comes to Azure SQL DB as well. I see a great potential for this integration and would enable advanced analytics scenarios on PaaS seamlessly

361 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Performance Tools work with RBAC read-only access

When a user exclusively has read RBAC access to a resource group you can't use the performance tools. This can be really useful information for developers to have access to in production systems, where they should have read-only access to resources.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow indexing nested json collections

An ability to index elements of nested json collections will be great and will be a great step towards competing with NoSQL Databases.

Oracle anb Postgre allready support it
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/datatype-json.html
    https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/indexing-json-data-in-oracle-database-12cr1

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. limit dtu query

when i try via back service to do a background process my dtu reach 100% and my end user suffer. when i try to create/rebuild index the same occur. it will be nice to have the ability to pass via options some command to limit the dtu of that process. e.g. something like maxdop ( which does not work)

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide SQL Management in an Embedded version (lite) for small clients. This would be really cool.

Not all clients are huge and not all of them have hired IT skilled staff. So offering the possibility for developers to embed the Sql Designer into webpages would be really cool. This might not be feasible or even good practice for large databases but small ones, could be a great idea. It might exist already ... If it doesn't ... Please push it to the decision makers. I would even offer to do it for you guys :D

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. sql suggested index - option to name index

Like that the system recommends an index to improve performance. But the name isn't descriptive to me. So it would be nice if you could override the name in the interface.

For now, I use the "view script" and the change the name in MSSMS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Database Size tells me it is full, but doesn't let me change the size/increase it

In the new portal, under SQL Databases, there's a panel called Database Size. Selecting that panel shows me a Donut Graph which shows me that I have used all 10 GB of my 10 GB limit. But there's no way to change the size and no hyperlink offering help! After calling support, I learned you have to go to the old portal to change the size. My Tier says I have a 250 GB limit, but this was a database created 3 years ago when 10 GB was the limit. Either automatically increase the limit as I change my tier,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Alert when SQL Performance Advisor has new suggestions

These seem promising, but we have to remember to go check for them. It would be nice to get an alert when a new suggestion is generated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow changing Azure SQL DB administrator username

For some bizarre reason there's no feature to change the Azure SQL DB administrator username, only the password. An ex-employee used his real name as the administrator username and we need to change it.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SQL Management Studio functionality in the Azure portal to manage the SQL Databases

Instead of connecting your local installation of SQL Management studio to the Azure platform. It would be great to have a way of exploring the Azure SQL databases and passing commands via the portal itself. This would make managing databases on the go much easier.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. For the free trial, as a developer, I should be able to utilize the use of SQL Express database for member authentication.

For the free trial, as a developer, I should be able to utilize the use of SQL Express database for member authentication without having to pay for the cost of creating a VM.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Enable in-memory feature to elastic database pool

In-memory feature looks good impact about OLAP performance. We manytimes need to shard data using Elastic database pool. This feature is very useful to for these senario.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. sql restore

Restore SQL to an earlier pt in time can take a looong time. The correlation id's info should include more details. If I'm restoring one then it's not a big deal, but when I'm restoring from several dates (as to determine when the DB changed in a certain way), then all those restore jobs look the same until they complete.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Don't allow Sql Database to be dropped using scripting if the resource has a delete lock on it.

If a database has a delete lock on it do NOT allow the database to be dropped using and SQL Script "DROP DATABASE" via connecting to the database server using a management tool (VS or Sql Manager).

I was able to set a delete lock on the database in the portal and I get the proper errors when trying to delete the database via the portal, but if you login using Sql Manager you can delete the database.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base