SQL Database

1. Exporting SQL database takes too many clicks

One area I feel still has far too many clicks is exporting a SQL database. For example, selecting a storage account and then a container requires at minimum six clicks (click on the account setting, then click an account, then click done, then repeat for the container).

If you have a lot of accounts or containers, you also have to repeatedly load more, and even worse, do a lot of scrolling since every container name takes up 3x more vertical space than it really needs.

My suggestions are three-fold:

1) Allow the selection of the account and container in-line in…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the database storage quota calculation in V12

It looks like the quota calculation reported in the portal may be double counting ... possibly from sys.indexes.
    I'm uploading a database at 75GB including indexes. The Azure SQL Database except for PK's does not include the indexes so the upload is certainly less than 35GB. Yet, it reports an exceeding 250GB storage quota error.

If I'm wrong, please do let me know.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Don't replace a manually-entered database name when importing a SQL Database.

When importing a SQL Database using the SQL Servers 'Import Database' feature, selecting a bacpac file from Azure Storage should not overwrite anything that I've manually entered into the 'Database name' field with the name of the bacpac file.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show Actual DTU in resource_stats

Show Actual DTU in resource_stats:

With the ElasticPool for Standard n Premium its easy to share the DTU withmultiple databases. However we would like to Monitor DTU consumption. The sys.elastic_pool_resource_stats and sys.dm_db_resource_stats, DMV's how the percentage.

Actual DTU would help whole monitoring the DTU for the individual DB's and the Pool and correlate the data and identify issues because of DTU usage going high.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. let us pause a sql database

It would be really nice to be able to pause a sql database, similar to taking one offline in SSMS. It's especially useful if you're moving the DB around to another sub or trying to replace it or something. I don't want to delete the DB that's there...just stop it until I'm confident that I'm finished with it.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Create a Server and Import a Database

As of now you cannot create a server and import an existing database.
    Also need a quick way of creating certificates, and viewing connection data (string).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Far too complex to use

Make using SQL simpler. I could not make a simple user login to Azure. No help anywhere. 3rd party help screens was old etc. Couldn't configure how to allow a user to login to Azure SQL with readonly rights.
    I Took my project to elsewhere.....
    Sorry guys.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Finnish month, Marraskuuta, in my monitoring!

Under the monitoring section for my database, "DTU percentage today", it has the month down as Marraskuuta, not November.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fix the portal bottom buttons

The footer menu - the dark blue menu with save/export/delete db and etc. blinks like disco for several seconds switching the available buttons haphazardly. After 5-15 seconds, depending on where in the menu am I, it 'relaxes' to the proper buttons which I can use.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Thesaurus support in SQL Azure

SQL Azure do support Full Text Search but thesaurus is not included. I know few partners requesting for this feature because for their ecommerce portal they are using SQL Azure and User Search is an integral part in any ecommerce portal. They are finding it hard to design an appropriate search functionality without out of the box thesaurus support.

Incase SQL Azure team can take-up this feature that would be great.

Regards,
    Zainu

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Ability to Add Database From SQL Server Blade

The SQL Server Blade should have an 'Add/Create Database' button. Button can navigate to the SQL Database Blade, or bring up the appropriate database workflow.

I didn't see the option on SQL Server Blade, so if it's there make it more visible.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Broken link on Database Configure page in old portal

See the screenshot attached - the link for "Learn More" is broken on Databases -> Pick Databse-> Configure is broken.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Azure Sql database password force change on first login

Azure SQL Database needs a feature, like SQL Server, to enforce password expiration, and MUST_CHANGE for SQL Logins

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Opt-out of Query Performance Insight and drop Query Store data

Make it possible to completely opt-out from Query Performance Insight and drop Query Store data.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Provide a way to force "transient" SQL errors for testing.

When using Azure SQL, transient errors due to throttling, load balancing etc become a fact of life quickly. There are methods to deal with this, but testing that the methods actually work in your server is very tricky or impossible.
    It would be great if there were a way in the portal, or Powershell APIs, to force transient errors in some way. For example, "for the next N minutes return a throttling error for every second operation".
    For examples of the lengths developers go to in order to test this:
    https://github.com/robdmoore/SQLAzureTransientDemo
    http://www.asp.net/mvc/overview/getting-started/getting-started-with-ef-using-mvc/connection-resiliency-and-command-interception-with-the-entity-framework-in-an-asp-net-mvc-application

this is a great deal of tricky code…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Import data blocked by Preview Portal - what are we missing?

We need to import excel data into the Azure portal - we did it last week on AWS but friends suggested Azure would be better with better tools, interfaces, etc for our start up going forward. So we set up our DB today in SQL on Azure today to test it - importing one set of data (data sets aren't huge size wise - 1700 rows) - to test if we can move forward with MSFT. The source data is in excel so that seemed like a good idea. But Azure doesn't seem to have any web/portal based import functions…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Cannot see any Storage accounts when trying to import a database

Cannot see any Storage accounts when trying to import a database.

I have a storage account and a container with the BACPAC file for the database. When I try to import the database the preview portal tells me I have no storage account. :(

I'm trying to follow these instructions
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-import/

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Easy Alerting on Database Size

Our small 1GB SQL Azure database recently reached its size limit which affected our web site and services. I'm astounded that there is no easy way within the Azure Portal or management UX to quickly and easily setup alerting on the size limit -- especially considering the impact that not being able to write to our database has had on our website and services.

Placing some easy alerting on database size within the Azure Portal or management UX would also provide a great place to upsell other monitoring services for SQL Azure.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. More granular sizing for Elastic Database Pools

Currently the sizing of Elastic Database Pools is not very granular. I'd like to be able to adjust the pool eDTU in much smaller increments, e.g. 5 or 10 DTUs at a time.

Let's say I have a premium elastic pool serving say 20 databases with 125 eDTU and I'm happy with the performance. I get a few more customers so need to add say 3 databases ... there's no way to grow my pool to support the additional load. Either I pay twice as much to have a 250 eDTU pool or I put up with fewer average resources…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base