SQL Database

1. Enable Stretch Database From Azure Sql Database

Sql Server 2016 Stretch Database is a wonderful feature. I'd love to be able to Stretch data FROM an existing Production Azure Sql Database so I can move cold data out my production "expensive" database into some lower tier Azure Sql Database.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Faster scaling between service tiers/performance levels

Current database scaling can be slow..
    Azure SQL Data Warehouse features the ability to scale between performance levels within seconds. It should also be an aim of Azure SQL DB to also offer scaling within seconds/small number of minutes. Key to this is presumably eliminating the data copying that goes on during scaling.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. PolyBase: Support for Azure SQL Database

Azure SQL Database does not currently support Polybase, though it is supported in the on-premise version.

1,179 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. allow database to reside in different resource group to server

Currently, SQL server databases must be created in the same resource group as the server. It would be great to allow databases to be created in different resource groups. This would allow full environments to be created and destroyed while leveraging elastic pools.

408 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    unplanned  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Database Swap

Hey team,

It would be a very nice feature to be able to swap a staging database to production without renaming or downtiming.

Cheers!

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add better interoperability with Application Insights

In Query Performance Insights, you can find long running and frequent queries, but to make this actionable, you need a way to find out which server operations are executing those queries so you can optimize.

There is no easy way to find this information today. You can do a "top down" search in Application Insights (AI) to find slow server operations, and then search their dependencies....but there is not a way to search for that specific query that you originally found in Query Performance (QP) to be slow or frequent. So the data is in AI, it's just not queryable.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow Limits on DTU usage by account while still allowing workload to complete

When creating an account used to connect to Azure SQL to execute workloads consider providing for a DTU usage limit.

The workload requested using the account would still complete but just take longer. In this way we can limit lower priority requests such that they don't consume all available resources when requesting an intensive operation.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Track SQL DB restore progress

Tracking in detail the restore of a SQL DB is mandatory in order to provide a transparent customer support. At this moment, one can only see if a restore is running (1%) or finished, but the restore progress in percentages cannot be seen. The only reply I can give at this moment to my customers about when the database restore will be finished, is somewhere within 24h.

339 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SQL Server Reporting Services Technical Preview

SQL Server Reporting Services Technical Preview
    We cannot specify storage accounts / specify the virtual network / subnet / public IP when creating a SSRS Technical Preview VM.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Support Transact-SQL Bulk Insert on SQL Database

Bulk Insert is usefull to import large data set set in SQL
    The data file may be hosted in a storage blob

It looks that bcp can be used but this is an "out of process" method and it's limited to 1000 rows (?!?)

http://thecodegarden.net/bulk-insert-azure-sql/

In my case, it's for exporting/importing tenant data in a multi-tenancy application. Dataset may have million rows.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Per server DTU bundles

Can we get a server with fixed DTUs and be billed on the per server DTU rather than for each individual database? This is useful when migrating from on-premise + when I want to manage the per database DTU by myself or I just don't want to care about the per database DTU.

Elastic pool based on the server!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to query analysis services directly from sql database

Right now there is no way to combine results from sql and azure analysis services without additional layer of code that would query analysis services and insert results to sql database.

Before azure we had something called OPENQUERY, that would allow us to query on the specified linked server using syntax that makes sense for that linked server (for example MDX).

Current implementation of azure elastic query doesn't really help in this situation.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide a REST API to retrieve access keys as other Azure services, RedisCache, DocumentDB and Azure Storage

RedisCache, DocumentDB and Azure Storage provide a REST API to retrieve access keys. Since Azure SQL now is a cloud platform service, it should provide a similar REST API to retrieve access keys.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Azure Sql Import Bacpac slow

We are testing a production database migration to Azure SQL. The database is 50GB and even on the S3 tier we are going on 30 hours still and the import isn't complete (pegged at 100% DTU). At this point I couldn't even tell you when this will finish. I understand I could have chosen the highest premium tier to import this and it might have been quicker, however I only want to test this database and right now I've lost 3-4 days on this (importing at S0, S1 tiers). My suggestion is to allow an option when going through the…

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Missing Firewall option in new portal

I read in some documentation that I can set firewall options in the new portal. However, I can't find it anywhere in the new portal.
    I had to switch to the old portal to allow my IP addrress access.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I do see that the documentation here needs fixing (will submit this request to the content team):

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-configure-firewall-settings/

In the meantime, you can do the following:
    If you’re not currently connected, connect to the Azure portal.
    On the default blade, click SQL servers.
    On the SQL servers blade, click the server on which to create the firewall rule.
    You’ll see a blade with a Settings section and “Firewall” as an option.

Thanks for submitting this feedback.

Best Regards,

Joe Sack
    Principal PM, SQL Server and Azure SQL DB

16. Allow SQL databases to be shutdown

Now that we can shutdown SQL Data Warehouses I'd like to be able to shutdown a SQL database. Even if there are multiple SQL databases on a server, I'd like to shutdown the databases individually since that's what I'm charged for. Just like with VMs I would expect to only be charged for the storage when the database is shutdown.
    As a bonus, shutting down the entire SQL Server would be great too, but I really only care about shutting down a database.

175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Need a Terminalserverwith access to a SQL-Server

Need a Terminalserverwith access to a SQL-Server

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Active Geo replication to different subscription

Customers are looking for this type of feature to replicate data from Prod in UAT/Test. Also to make the database available for third party to separate the costing. Currently custom coding or replication tools are needed, but would be great if the secondary replica can be in another subscription

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add confirmation requirements on actions which could damage the system

Hi,

Presently its possible to delete a db and scale down a db without a confirmation. This is very dangerous. While its possible to restore a db this will still result in down time (quite a bit if the db is large). The same goes for scaling down. Should by accident the wrong size be chosen the production environment can be severely hampered as has occurred to us today.

Please add confirmations at least to these areas. Password protection requirement to deleting a db/server should also be implemented in my opinion.

Thank you
    Ron

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Auto Scaling for Azure SQL

Ability to create rules which enable automatically scaling up or down the DTUs on an Azure SQL Database based on usage.

214 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base