SQL Database

1. Add confirmation requirements on actions which could damage the system

Hi,

Presently its possible to delete a db and scale down a db without a confirmation. This is very dangerous. While its possible to restore a db this will still result in down time (quite a bit if the db is large). The same goes for scaling down. Should by accident the wrong size be chosen the production environment can be severely hampered as has occurred to us today.

Please add confirmations at least to these areas. Password protection requirement to deleting a db/server should also be implemented in my opinion.

Thank you
    Ron

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Log Reader functionality to SQL Server like ApexSQL Log

It is nearly impossible to read db logs. The ApexSQL Log tool does this well. This functionality should be in SQL Server. It would be very useful for MS to purchase this product and incorporate it into SQL Server, or rewrite it as necessary for inclusion.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for SQL Trace Log Configuration

Support for SQL Trace Log Configuration.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback here.

SQL Trace is one of our older SQL Server technologies that’s on the path for deprecation. XEvents is the modern replacement. I’d love to learn more about your scenario here. Please reach out to me. Query Store is another alternative.

Thank you
    Guy.

4. Support cross database copy and db objects access on Azure SQL Database under same subscription

Support cross database copy and db objects access on Azure SQL Database under same subscription.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. SQL Azure Split/Merge service should support foreign key relationship identification of shards

1. Split/Merge service should support foreign key relationship identification of shards. Given the example from the AdventureWorks database, Schema Info support for a table that has a foreign key to a table that has the shard key. See Image for details.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Need a Terminalserverwith access to a SQL-Server

Need a Terminalserverwith access to a SQL-Server

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. BUG in Azure SQL

I got an issue while working with Azure SQL. Actually, SSMS does allow to connect with the Azure SQL Server with below mentioned name:

For Example I gave server name as "abcd123.database.windows.net" with login name "demo@abcd" .SSMS through an error stating "Cannot open server abcd requested by login"

But, Azure portal allow us to create server with this credential.The issue is with any server created with name in the above format . You can test creating a server with name "abcdeq123.database.windows.net" with admin login name"demo@abcdeq". It allows you to create a server with this name in azure portal but when…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SQL Azure Import data from Local Excel (PowerBI) Instance

Currently to use Azure with Excel and import data from Excel to MSSQL Azure you must install MSSQL on the local machine and import and pass the data to Azure which somewhat negates the benefit of Azure.

Reference this superuser post for details on the workaround http://superuser.com/a/789290/76498 . Given that PowerQuery is now an awesome ETL tool and is in the flow from data to PowerBI being able to seemelessly backup your imported and related data from Excel and PowerPivot to Azure just makes sense, it then also follows the same could/would occur from PowerBI as it also has PowerQuery.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. UID Property Not Needed in SQL Database - Database Connection Strings for new ODBC Azure AD Integrated Auth

Hi there

I see that in the Database Connection Strings page for an Azure SQL Database, you've added support for the new Azure AD Authentication types, which is great.

However, I think there's an issue with the "Azure AD Integrated Auth" version (refer to the "PortalAzureInt_Auth.jpg" screenshot attached): it seems to include the "UID" key value pair:

Driver={ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server};Server=tcp:XXXXXXX.database.windows.net,1433;Database=XXXXX;Uid={yourusername};Encrypt=yes;TrustServerCertificate=no;Connection Timeout=30;Authentication=ActiveDirectoryIntegrated

As I understand it, the UID should not be supplied when connecting to the database with via this mechanism.

When creating an ODBC connection via ODBC Data Source Administrator, the ODBC driver's…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable schedule for elastic database pool jobs

For elastic database pool jobs we need a way to schedule the job to run at a specific time each night. Please make this function available from the portal.

This will enable us to automatically defragment indexes and run other db maintenance over night.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make Performance Tools work with RBAC read-only access

When a user exclusively has read RBAC access to a resource group you can't use the performance tools. This can be really useful information for developers to have access to in production systems, where they should have read-only access to resources.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. SQL Azure Split/Merge - Copy

Split/Merge service should have option to copy source. Currently the SM service does a complete move of a shardlet from the source DB to the new tenant DB. This would allow us to continue to have source as production while we are testing against production data. It also protects us in the event we need to rollback.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow indexing nested json collections

An ability to index elements of nested json collections will be great and will be a great step towards competing with NoSQL Databases.

Oracle anb Postgre allready support it
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/datatype-json.html
    https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/indexing-json-data-in-oracle-database-12cr1

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Typo in security group rule

See attached picture. Choosing MS SQL as service gets port "1443" instead of "1433".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Alert when SQL Performance Advisor has new suggestions

These seem promising, but we have to remember to go check for them. It would be nice to get an alert when a new suggestion is generated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Don't allow Sql Database to be dropped using scripting if the resource has a delete lock on it.

If a database has a delete lock on it do NOT allow the database to be dropped using and SQL Script "DROP DATABASE" via connecting to the database server using a management tool (VS or Sql Manager).

I was able to set a delete lock on the database in the portal and I get the proper errors when trying to delete the database via the portal, but if you login using Sql Manager you can delete the database.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Provide SQL Management in an Embedded version (lite) for small clients. This would be really cool.

Not all clients are huge and not all of them have hired IT skilled staff. So offering the possibility for developers to embed the Sql Designer into webpages would be really cool. This might not be feasible or even good practice for large databases but small ones, could be a great idea. It might exist already ... If it doesn't ... Please push it to the decision makers. I would even offer to do it for you guys :D

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. sql suggested index - option to name index

Like that the system recommends an index to improve performance. But the name isn't descriptive to me. So it would be nice if you could override the name in the interface.

For now, I use the "view script" and the change the name in MSSMS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Database Size tells me it is full, but doesn't let me change the size/increase it

In the new portal, under SQL Databases, there's a panel called Database Size. Selecting that panel shows me a Donut Graph which shows me that I have used all 10 GB of my 10 GB limit. But there's no way to change the size and no hyperlink offering help! After calling support, I learned you have to go to the old portal to change the size. My Tier says I have a 250 GB limit, but this was a database created 3 years ago when 10 GB was the limit. Either automatically increase the limit as I change my tier,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can "Manywho" workflow connect to SQL Azure database ?

Can "Manywho" workflow connect to SQL Azure database ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base