SQL Database

1. Bigger free SQL DB

I suggest you to increase free space for sql DB. MongoLab currently gives 500MB for free and this encourages me to choose this database to verify me application. I'd rather choose SQL DB but it's too small for my startup. If my startup succeed it's too late to change database.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Choosing a server for Azure SQL Database shows old deleted servers

Choosing a server for an Azure SQL Database shows servers that were deleted long ago

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add allowed IP - adresses functionallity

I am missing the management off allowed IP adresses. Please add this in the new portal!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bug: Bacpac file cannot be imported to Basic/Standard tiers

Bacpac file can be imported only to Web/Business tiers of SQL Azure.
    When trying to do this to Basic/Standard tiers the following errora appears:

BadRequest <html version="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 2.0//EN" xml:lang="en" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><HEAD><TITLE>Request Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><DIV id="content"><P class="heading1"><B>Error Status Code:</B> 'BadRequest'</P><P><B>Details: </B>Error encountered during the service operation. ; Exception Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dac.Services.ServiceException:Unable to authenticate request; </P></DIV></BODY></html>

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback, and I’m sorry your having problems importing a Bacpac file. Can you please verify your username/password match between the source DB and the Azure SQL Database that you’re trying to import into. These should be the same SQL credentials that you would use in SSMS, APIs to connect to the Azure SQL Database.

Send me email at guyhay@microsoft.com with you subscription GUID, logical servername, DB name, and how the import/export request was generated (portal? manage.windowsazure.com?, API).

Thanks Guy

5. mysql password

Allow us to change/reset MySQL user passwords.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Problem with the "Allowed IP Addresses" page

We currently have several IP addresses registered with spaces in the name. The validation on the names is claiming these are invalid. However according to the validation message these names should be fine as they do not contain any of the disallowed characters or end with a '.'.

Please either update the validation message to state that spaces are not allowed or fix the validation that is causing this problem.

I have attached an image of the validation message.

Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. View Designer Bug

MSSM connected to Azure SQL-DB.
    Unable to add extra tables in View designer.

Using context-menu: Views > New View
    Select one or more tables - press [Close]
    Right-click and notice that 'Add Table' is disabled.
    It is not possible to add ekstra tables to the View Designer!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Azure Portal Query Editor incorrectly parses GO batch terminators in literals

The query editor interprets "GO" embedded in string literals as a batch terminator and executes the preceding text, resulting in a syntax error:

SELECT 'repro
    GO';
    GO

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide option to select MS SQL Collation during VM+MS SQL provisioning in AZURE Portal

Every time MS SQL Deployment (IAAS) in AZURE, we've to raise Ticket to AZURE Support for request to change Collation Type. It is challenged for us since we don't have DBA in place. Please consider to make the option enable during VM+MS SQL provisioning in AZURE Portal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide option to select MS SQL Collation during VM+MS SQL provisioning in AZURE Portal

Every time MS SQL Deployment (IAAS) in AZURE, we've to raise Ticket to AZURE Support for request to change Collation Type. It is challenged for us since we don't have DBA in place. Please consider to make the option enable during VM+MS SQL provisioning in AZURE Portal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Let the customers deploy SQL named Instances directly from the Market Place

Nowadays Azure let us to deploy only SQL default instances directly from the portal. In case we need, for the business purposes ou hybrid cloud scenary, or even if we prefer to use named instances, we need to deploy SQL default instance from the portal images, then reinstall the SQL Named Instance and than remove the default instance... a lot of work. Pls, think about ir.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Long-term recovery config is broken in the portal

Configuration of long-term recovery is broken in the portal. I understand this feature is in preview (but it's been in preview for 14 months!):

I've created an RS vault in the same resource group as the SQL Server and DBs.
    The Long Term recovery blade in the portal recognizes this.
    Select a couple DBs and click Configure.
    Enter the policy details and click OK.
    Click Save to apply the new policy. Nothing happens.
    Navigate away from the blade and receive the "Unsaved changes" warning.

I WAS able to configure long term recovery using Azure PowerShell as shown here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-long-term-backup-retention-configure#powershell

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enable GZip/Deflate Compression of SQL Azure OData Response

OData's AtomPub protocol is very verbose. My calculations indicate that AtomPub multiplies Data Transfer Out bytes by a factor of 8.75. (See Querying OData.org’s SQL Azure Northwind Sample Data Service: http://oakleafblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/odataorgs-sql-azure-northwind-sample.html).

Despite the Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate header, SQL Azure OData responses aren''t compressed. I agree with this comment by Scott Hanselman - failure to compress OData responses is LAME.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Preview portal needs improvement on Database Server Management

As you try to manage Database Servers in the preview portal you will be see a list of server that you are able to use. The problem is that as i administrator i have to manage on more than 3 subscriptions at the moment and i get a list of databases with the "complicate" names.
    So for management purpose i like to see an improvement on how the Database names appears. I think i a good to see as feature the ability to add a secondary name in databases for Internal use only
    (I don't care for domain name of…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make it easy to keep database connection details out of source code

I want to avoid putting my production username/password for the Azure DB in source control where all other developers can see it and thereby have read/write access. This is not easy today. Couldn't it work similar to the way Azure credentials are transmitted during a deploy? Or maybe we could store this data in Azure tied to the account, and copied into new instances as they are spun up?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Increase the max length of a SQL Aazure administrative password

The maximum length of a SQL Azure administrator's password is eight characters. That's not secure enough. It should be at least double that.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SQL Managed Instance - support the rename of databases when in geo-replication set-up.

The ability to rename databases in SQL Managed instance. as well as being supported on a single instance, needs to be supported on a databases in an Always On Group. As the Database ID (GUID) could be used to reference the database in the replicated copy; I would have thought this would be a quick win?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export data-tier application should warn if tables do not have a clustered index

It would be helpful to know up front (issue a warning earlier in the process) that it is mandatory in Azure for tables to include a clustered index. In fact, this is not true as my initial Azure test database contained a table with no indexes at all. Indexes are not mandatory in SQL Server.

I am sure this is about trying to prevent bad indexing strategies being imported into the Cloud. As a suggestion could you have a check box on the export process "Target export is for Azure". If this is checked then you can warn users about…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Support serverless mode for SQL Database Hyperscale as well

It's so useful for daily batch job or so. We want to avoid unnessary management task for it.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Better database classification and organisation of DBs

With so much data getting into dbs, and it's just the starting, going forward SQL DBs might become like old libraries where finding and organizing and visualizing is difficult. Similarly in the SQL Server/DB we need a way to better categorise, organize, be able to manage and see relevant dbs together(with [Logical/Physical]connections among them and a tool to present and help organize is highly desired...

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base