SQL Database

1. Scale standard geo-replicated secondaries independently of the primary

Paying for the the secondary to be at the performance level the same is a waste of money. I have a database at S3, this is for reads only as it has very little writes, so having the secondary at this level is unnecessary, I know it has a discount of 25% , but this is way too expensive.
    In the event of a failover, I am quite happy to manually scale the database up to it's required level, but why do I need it at the same level as the primary?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

Wrap names so we can tell which database is which when pinning SQL Azure databases to start

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Support AIB in Full Text Search

Azure Media Services creates AIB files for SQL Full Text Search. Today they only work in SQL on IaaS. It would be great if they worked in v12 now that we have Full Text Search.

More info:
    http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/11/03/using-aib-files-with-azure-media-indexer-and-sql-server/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/playready4/archive/2014/09/17/what-can-you-do-with-azure-media-indexer.aspx

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Fix a bug that allows external computers to connect to an SQL Server even though there are no IP addresses in the allowed IPs list

It feels that, if there is some setting that turns on the firewall to be able to connect to MS SQL, it should be easily found. Intuitively, it feels that if I don't specify any IPs in the "allowed IP address" section, nothing should be able to connect to the database and retrieve data. Is there any specific option I have to turn on to make the firewall work?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Better message on new portal when IP address for SQL database not found

On the old portal, I at least get a message when trying to set firewall rules that the IP address of the SQL database cannot be found. On the new portal, the blade just sits there an does nothing.

Also, whatever the core problem is, it would be nice if that was fixed. I cannot connect to the SQL database with SQL Server Management Studio. Even though the database is active, and the MYSQL migration tool is currently pumping data into the database.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Use some of the same naming conventions for links to content as the old portal, or ADD HINTS.

It took me 20 min to find the allowed IP address to give access to the DB. "Show firewall settings" IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO "Manage allowed IP addresses". Just add the old content in parenthesis or name it the same so we are not soooo lost trying to find how to do the same thing we used to do. Then later down the road change the name to something else, but at least notify us, don't just change the name and leave us hanging to search like crazy to find stuff.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Show clarification of the additional charges when enabling automated export of SQL database

When you click to enable SSL on an Azure Website, the portal warns you about the additional charges involved. When enabling automated export of an SQL database, I think the same functionality should be added. A daily automated export of a database will double the cost, which when on the top performance tiers can be a significant amount.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Management tool like phpMyAdmin for all created MySQL databases

I may be missing it based on my subscription level, but a management tool that you can use in the portal to manage your MySQL databases that you create. It would be just like phpMyAdmin or SQL management studio in the way you can add tables and input data into the tables.

This would be great for us users that use a laptop with a small hard drive and even a tablet to quickly populate a database and just work on the application we are creating. Just a thought though

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Re-order steps in creating a new SQL Database

Taking an Azure class now - When creating a new SQL Database, the lab instructions state to specifically set "Subscription" FIRST then "Resource Group", etc. If the order of steps are important to be done sequentially, can you just place the items in the order of importance in the UI (rather than the user going to the bottom then back to the top)?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SQL Azure V12 Database not visible in portal after subscription is temporarily disabled

I created 2 SQL Azure DBs before V12 was launched.
    I also created several v12 SQL Azure DBs last week.

On weekend my subscription expired due to MSDN $ limit exceed. I can however see the old pre-V12 DBs, VM etc in suspended state, but cannot see new V12 DB at all.

We would expect to see consistency. What am I missing ?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Persist Elastic Scale Split&Merge service status

Once e.g. a split operation is started via the elastic scale split&merge service and you accidentally close the tab you will no longer be able to access the progress of the operation. It would be great if one could see the ongoing operations once the service is reopened. (Maybe even completed ones).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Simple way to add current IP to firewall exception for SQL

Last portal has a quick start feature to quickly add firewall exceptions. New one doesn't. Or at least it's not obvious.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bug? SQL Database no longer showing in portal

In the middle of customising the dashboard of Azure's (preview) portal, I changed a SQL Database tile from 2x2 to 2x1. Bad plan it seems, as the tile's database name disappeared and the tile now simply says "SQL Database". Clicking on the tile takes me to a pretty much empty blade.

More worryingly, the "all resources" no longer lists my database. The database server blade includes my problem database as being on the server (i.e. in the list of SQL databases), but clicking on the database shows me the same pretty empty blade. (The legacy portal shows the database correctly,…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When creating a database don't reset the server configuration when changing the subscription

When you create a new SQL database, the first item in the list is the server. If you have not created a server before (or are creating a new one), you have to fill in a bunch of details like admin name, password, etc. The last item in the list of 'steps' is the subscription to associate it with.

After you have configured everything, you then realize that you're on the wrong subscription so you change it and the page RESETS all of the configuration for the server step (maybe others too). Why it does this is beyond me. I…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Java API for Azure SQL Database Elastic Scale

For Java shops, we need an API for Azure SQL Database Elastic Scale. We already have too much code and want to minimize the amount of refactoring to move up to Azure SQL Database. We're very interested in Elastic Scale. Without a Java API, this a non-starter for us.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Create and edit Index in SSMS

Please add the ability to create and edit an index via a gui rather than t-sql in SSMS for azure sql database v12.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback here.

For now, you can use the “Insert Snippet” menu option to help insert a code snippet for an index. You can right click in the SQL query editor window, choose “Insert Snippet”, and then choose “Index”. Once the snippet is inserted, you can use the “tab” key to cycle amongst the fields you need to fill in.

Thanks Guy and team.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Database

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base