Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Allow Network Security Groups (NSGs) to Reference Application Security Groups (ASGs) From Different Location

Remove the limitation of restricting Network Security Groups (NSGs) ability to leverage/associate Application Security Groups (ASGs) that are not within the same location of the target Virtual Network (VNET).

This is especially important, to provide granularity and segregation/isolation in a hub-and-spoke networking model (i.e. VNetA-ASG1-to-VNetB-ASG1), in association with VNet Peering.

292 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      16 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Add a Network Security Group tag for Windows Update

I'd like to be able to block all outbound traffic on my NSG but still allow windows update to work. This is difficult to do as the windows update depends on quite a few DNS names and the IP address of these apparently changes often.

If I could specify an "Allow" rule for a service tag called "WindowsUpdate" or similar with a higher priority than my "DenyAll" rule this would acheive this.

282 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      21 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Ability to create source/destination objects containing multiple IP addresses/ranges

When creating NSGs it would be nice to be able to define network object groups that contain a list of IP addresses or ranges which can then be applied to the source or destination addresses of the NSG. If I only want to allow services to a specific set of IPs I have to create a rule for each distinct IP address. Even having the ability to add multiple IPs or IP ranges would work for source/destination but objects would be better so they can be used across multiple rules.

166 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. multiple network security groups per NIC

Allow multiple Network Security Groups per NIC. Amazon Web Services allows multiple NSGs to be associated to a NIC. This allows us to define one NSG for "Remote Access", a second for VLAN (it allows itself) and a third for "server role (DC, SQL, etc.)

90 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Setting NSG immediately

When NSG is set from PowerShell or the portal, the operation successfully completes soon but it takes a few minutes before the NSG setting will take effect.
      Please set NSG setting immediately.

69 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Enable the application of Network Security Group rules to groups of IPs

Allow the creation of groups that contain multiple IP addresses. Then allow the application of Network Security Group rules to the group. As an example I could create a group, add the IP addresses of all my Domain Controllers to the group, then apply rules to the group, rather than duplicating rules for each Domain Controller where the only difference is the IP address.

67 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Support for IKEv2 VPN clients to connect to an Azure based RRAS server (Allow ESP traffic through NSG)

Currently, Network Security Groups only support rules for TCP and UDP traffic. This request is for the addition of rules for ESP traffic which is required for IKEv2 clients to connect to an RRAS server running on Azure.
      We use ExpressRoute Point-to-Site is not an option as they cannot coexist. We currently use SSTP for our clients to connect but lack the resiliency that comes with an IKEv2 connection.

Alternatively, support for Expressroute/Point-to-Site coexistence would also satisfy our requirement and eliminate the need to maintain an RRAS server in Azure.

31 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Allow network security to allow or deny other network security groups

Amazon Web Services allows a security group to allow or deny other security groups (including itself). This allows you to easily group NICs (VMs) into the same "VLAN", or to allow one "server role" to access another "server role" (for example allow the WAP security group to access the ADFS security group)

16 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Provide NSG Tags for PaaS Services

Provide a way to TAG resoures in NSG - such as Azure Storage, Azure SQL and other PaaS Services or let user define his own custom tags.

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Add ability to use a Network Security Group (NSG) as a rule source/target

Currently NSG rules have the concept of the source or target being a Tag, and there are a couple predefined tags (Internet, VirtualNetwork, and AzureLoadBalancer). It would be nice if there was a similar feature where you could select the source or target being another network security group. Resources would be considered part of a NSG if they have their network interface associated with that NSG, they are in a subnet associated with that NSG, or they are in a VNET associated with that NSG. This essentially creates a subnet that has a dynamic address space.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Make ASG independant of a VNET like NSG

While it's possible to attach a NSG to multiple subnet or even different subnet in different VNET, it should be the same for ASG.
      Currently I can add machines only in the same VNET once a single machine had been added to the ASG.

My usage : I've got different services I deploy in different vnet but identical usage just different environments. Then I have some shared resource such as nsg that are applied to these different instances and I wanted to add the different machines with same role to a single ASG instead of create one ASG/role/environment and just…

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Allow referencing an Azure resource by id in Network Security Groups

NSG's should allow the use of Azure resource ID in addition to ip addresses for NSGs. For example, if I reference the ID of a webapp, then the rule will apply to the public IPs of that webapp. If I reference an azure VM, then the rule will apply to the ip address of that vm. And so on. It would make it so much more flexible to build up rules by using resource id's/names than today's very static and cumbersome implementation, especially for complex rules.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. Site Categorization for the new Azure Firewall

Adding the ability to restrict outbound traffic based on Site Categorization would be great. This would give the ability to restrict outbound access to adult, gambling and other questionable sites.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Application Security Groups, Service Tags, and Augmented security rules in Gov

Application Security Groups, Service Tags, and Augmented security rules (public preview) would be great additions to managing networks security in Azure Government. NSG's are good, but a complex application can quickly increase the number NSG rules and potentially reach limits fast. These three features would be really REALLY nice.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/public-preview-features-for-nsgs/

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    15. Add ServiceTags for login.microsoft.com and arm api endpoint in NSG

Kubernetes requires access to the different endpoint to perform automation.

We also need to restrict internet access with an outbound rule. It would be best if we could configured the NSG to prevent internet access while keeping the access to the internal Azure endpoints.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Named network sets (avoid repeated network rules in every Azure service)

Both SQL Server and Storage now support firewall for inbound requests, where I can inform authorized IP addresses or virtual networks that have access. It is expected that other Azure services will follow that (Key Vault? Data Lake?).

The problem is that if I have a subset of services that use same firewall rules, I have to repeat these rules over and over.

The suggestion is that Azure Network allows definition of a named network set, or simply named network definition, and then in each service I simply inform that name, instead of repeating the rules again,

This way if…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Azure Firewall NAT Rules

When the UDR assoc the Subnet is not possible connect by RDP from the Internet, or other services exposed in the internet.

If I could create the NAT Rule on the Azure Firewall I can expose any services in internet and this issue would be resolved.

thank you so much.

Best Regards

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base