Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details

• Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details

• If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Multiple Network Interface Cards on VM

This is a big restriction where we cannot assign multiple IP addresses to a single VM.

There could be several design considerations that demand this,
      - two public IP's on a Single V,
      - internal IP address on one NIC to route traffic inside Azure private cloud and one public IP (for DNS or whatever other service that needs to be reached over a secure tunnel

964 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      33 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Azure Load Balancer to support HTTPS probes

Currently it is not possible to utilise a HTTPS (port 443) probe against a backend pool and as a result you must use either port 80 or a TCP probe which isn't the same as actually making a HTTPS request and testing the HTTP response code.

478 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      10 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Endpoints can accept a port range instead of entering each open open one at a time

If I have a port range it is really a pain to add endpoints if I need to add a port range between 20000 and 20010 for TCP and UDP. In this case I have to create 20 endpoints.

233 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      8 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Provide Load Balancing for Intra-Role communications

The fabirc should provide the ability to have load-balanced intra-role communication (i.e. internal cloud VIP's), so instead of asking the RoleEnvironment for the instance IPEndpoint list and choosing manually, there should be a mechanism for simply saying call this other role, and let the fabric decide (based on perf/count/round robin, etc...) to what instance of the role to send the call.

223 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      10 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Enabled configurable session affinity at the load balancer.

I would like each request from a user to go to the same web role instance. The motivation is performance of cached data.

Configuration based to IP address, form data, and query string data would be useful. I believe this can be configured at the load balancer.

In my case, this is a Facebook app, so affinity based on the fbsiguser parameter in the POST data would send the same Facebook user to the same VM instance.

194 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      13 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Allow SSL termination at the load balancer

Enable us to terminate SSL at the built in load balances to save having to distribute certificates across our VMs and offload the workload from the VMs.

184 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Increase Idle Timeout on Internal Load Balancers to 120 Mins

We use Azure Internal Load Balancers to front services which make use of direct port mappings for backend connections that are longer than the 30 min upper limit on the ILB. That is, our ILBs accept port connections on a nominated set of ports and pass those connections to the backend services running on the same ports.
      We are experiencing dropped TCP connections from clients connecting to the backend services via the ILB. After investigating the issue in collaboration with the Azure Networking Team it was verified that altering the default OS TCP keep alive duration to below 30mins would…

123 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Internal load balancer vnet peering

Currently when you connect 2 VNETS using a global vnet peer you cannot access internal load balancer between the networks. E.g if you have a resource behind a load balancer in vnet1 and you try to connect to the load balancer from vnet2 then you cannot connect.

This causes problems for SQL Server Availability groups running over 2 regions meaning you need an internal load balancer in each region. If you then have a web farm spread over the 2 regions only web servers within the region hosting the listener address can connect to the listener. This basically removes one…

122 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Azure Loadbalancer / Application Gateway : Provide basic status indication for nodes

Troubleshooting a loadbalancer in azure is a pain in the ***. A basic necesity is being able to see if a given node is regarded as up/down by the load balancer. The same applies to an application gateway too...

99 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Display health probe status in Load Balancer

Display health probe status for each node in the backend pools in Load Balancer

95 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. Enable the feature to have multiple public ip addresses per cloud service

Enable the feature to have multiple public ip addresses per cloud service

64 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      completed  ·  13 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Azure Load Balancer to support having VMs from multiple availability sets in the backend.

Currently, only VMs from a single Availability Set is allowed and there are scenarios where a user may wish to add a VM from a 2nd availability set to the backend pool.

58 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. 56 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      12 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Support communicating to the frontend IP address of a globally peered internal load balancer

The VNet peering documentation contains the following constraint:

Resources in one virtual network cannot communicate with the frontend IP address of an Azure internal load balancer in the globally peered virtual network. The load balancer and the resources that communicate with it must be in the same region.

In scenarios that require a resource to access a load balanced application in another region, a 3rd party load balancer is required.

52 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      6 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Multiple Dedicated IPs per Virtual Machines

We really need the ability do handle multiple SSL certificates on one site therefore a dedicated IP is needed. This is a HUGE need for us!

38 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Reserved IP / Allow reserving of existing Cloud Service/VM IP

I have Cloud Service from which I would like to reserve the IP I'm already using for production purposes.

Also I'm considering to go from CloudService into VM mode but it is essential to retain the IP address.

28 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      6 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Reserved IP addresses from Australian data centre

Please make Reserved IP addresses available from the Australian data centre. I was very much looking forward to having Australian DCs opened up so I can offer my service to Australian/New Zealand customers concerned about data off-shoring, but without Reserved IP addresses there's no real way for me to simplify connectivity setup to the level some customers will require.

25 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. Loadbalancer multiple ports in one frontend rule

For NVA's (Network Virtual Appliances) in a HA setup, a load balancer is used to spread traffic across two active devices.

There are applications (i.e. AD) that uses a lot of ports for communication or even dynamic port-ranges.

Unfortunately at this moment the LB only allows up to 150 rules with a single port.

Ideally it should be possible to load balance all ports (*), especially when it is a security device and you want to perform zero trust even within the Azure environment.

This is merely a problem on the Internal Load Balancer.

24 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      4 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Sticky load balancing

Enable options for load balancing server affinity for applications that are unable to propoer control session state

23 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Ability to use the copyindex() function in an "inboundNatRules" definition in the "Microsoft.Network/loadBalancers" resource

We have a scenario where we are utilizing the copy function to provision a configurable number of VMs in a load balanced environment.

When configuring the loadBalancerInboundNatRules in the networkInterface resource, we can use the copyindex() function to dynamically specify the name of the Nat rule based on the number of VMs we are provisioning. Unfortunately, we can't use the copyindex function when we define the name of the Nat rule in the loadBalancers resource (because we don't want multiple loadBalancers provisioned). As a result, we have to hardcode the name with an index. This causes us to have to…

21 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ← Previous 1 3
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base