Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. X-Forwarded-For from firewall should be sending the external IP of the incoming connection.

X-Forwarded-For is being overwritten by the firewall, so our internal servers cannot check the external IP of the incoming connection.

This is a requirement of both business logic and PCI requirements, and the firewall should be sending the external real IP instead of its own IP to the internal servers.

83 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
        1 comment  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • More public IPs on Azure Firewall

At the moment you only have the possibility to have 1 public IP on Azure Firewall. When this IP is used for ex. access to AD FS WAP behind Azure Firewall, then you are not able to host other services on port 443/tcp behind Azure Firewall that needs to be accessible from the Internet.

Please provide the option to add additional public IPs to Azure Firewall.

41 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add ASG support on Azure Firewall

Currently it's not possible to utilize ASGs in the Azure Firewall which limits the possibility of having an autoscaling environment and at the same time limit the network access to only what is necessary by specific resources.

If deploying new resources and adding them into existing ASGs, it would be beneficial to be able to utilize ASGs as source/destination in Azure Firewall as well to remove the need of having to configure IP specific rules each time a new resource is deployed.

30 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Logs to Appear in Log Analytics Near Real Time

I have setup Azure Firewall wit Log Analytics. What would be useful is if the logs could get shipped near real time to Log Analytics. Experiencing about a 10 min delay.

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Add Azure Firewall compatibility with Application Gateway

I have an architecture with multiple subscriptions, virtual networks and connectivity to on-premises. In the hub subscription we use(d) Azure Firewall to filter network traffic between networks.

It appears that Azure Firewall cannot be used in conjunction with Application Gateway, as (apparently?) the health probe traffic is not routed correctly and backend status is deemed as "unknown" even though everything is healthy. Microsoft Support confirmed that this is currently unsupported.

This prevents us from using ready made PaaS solutions (App GW) in order to publish services running in Azure. At the same time, we consider network security a critical matter…

19 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Disable source NAT on incoming sessions on Azure Firewall

Hi,

As far as I can tell, source NAT is applied to all incoming sessions crossing a destination nat-rule on the Azure Firewall.

It would be great if there was an option for this implicit source NAT to be disabled. Doing so would allow internal Azure VMs to see the real public IP address of the system making the incoming connection.

The Azure Firewall deployment docs state that a default route should be set on the host's subnets pointing to the Azure Firewall - so source NAT should not be necessary for (public) Internet IP addresses to be routed successfully…

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Azure Firewall - managed backup function

Azure Firewall is a managed service but as of now is missing some critical operational functions like backup/restore and audit trail. Please enhance the service to automatically backup configuration (i.e. rules) and allow for restore into existing or a new instance of the Firewall. Also, enable some reporting capability that will show a history of configuration/rule modifications (add/delete/update)

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Support for network rules with dns name or application rules with packets other than http/https.

Support for network rules with dns name or application rules with packets other than http/https.

For example if my service require access to SFTP or SMTP outside my organization I would like to open a rule with its domain address name and port (TCP_22 or TCP_25 respectively).

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add Service Tag (Internet) to Azure Firewall Network Rule

Hello Team,

It would be nice to add some service tags like Internet in the network rule section when we have to configure an outbound rule to allow VMs to browse the Internet. The current option only allows for IPs, which makes it a bit difficult if one wants the VM to browse the Internet.

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Why does it take 5 minutes+ to save changes to Azure Firewall?

Is it possible to make it quicker to save changes to Azure Firewall? A simple rule change takes upwards of 5 minutes to complete.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Azure Firewall showing up as "Other classic resources > Deployments"

In Cost Management + Billing, Azure firewall cost shows up under the category "Other Classic Resources > Deployments. This can be misleading. I understand that Firewall billing is billed in two ways, But it should be better designated, so resources billing can be traced.

Thanks

Ref: Service request: 118111921002018

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Integrate Azure Firewall with Just in Time VM Access

I'd like to get rid of my NSGs but need to keep them around for Just in Time VM Access. It would be nice if that feature integrated with Azure Firewall instead of just the Network Security Groups.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Feeback regarding Firewall Deployment on Azure

The following feedback has been posted by one of your customers regarding Deployments of Firewalls on Azure:
                              "I did not recieve a cost per day when deploying, and no indication for the monthly cost via the analysis. So i was supprised that the cost in a matter of a few days exceeded 100. It was good that I triggered a cost alert. The dashboard should provide cost of FW up front, and a way to down the FW when the rest of the machines are turned off. I would like to run the VMs only when needed, so I would…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Rules disappear

I've had several instances where rules are saved but then disappear. This occurs in both Edge and Chrome.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Create default IP Rule for IP restrictions

When creating first IP restrictions rule in a Web Application the default rule Deny all is implemented.
                                  This default rule is not visible and should automatically be generated on creation of first visible rule to then be configurable with Priority numeric.
                                  Otherwise many users of Azure Web apps will create a rule and no realise the whole site is blocked due to this default rule being applied.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Please create a blog post discussing when FTP - Active client connections were blocked from Azure

We had a case opened to learn that FTP - Active mode was blocked form Azure. This was documented internally at Microsoft but nothing we could find on the web or Azure documentation. Many companies still use Active FTP (not saying that is a best practice) and for these companies it would be helpful to call this issue out as a known fact for migrating to Azure (if code changes are required)

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Azure Firewall - NAT Rules Clarification

The NAT rules UI is little wonky and less intuitive than I would like. I think the terms "destination" address and "translated" address could be modified to be more clear. Almost every customer that I have worked with on deployment of Azure Firewall has reversed these and hence impacted their configuration and timing for deployment. I think the UI should have F/W interface address (it should know it since it only can have one today) and the translated address field should be labeled target. That simple change would've saved a couple of customers an hour or two of frustration and…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base