How can we improve Azure Networking?

Allow DNS servers to be advertised per subnet instead of VNET

Instead of advertising the DNS servers per VNET, is there anyway we can specify what DNS servers should be advertised per subnet? In most cases, I would create a VNET and use NSGs to segregate out my traffic.

The problem with specifying the DNS servers for the whole VNET, is now I am required to create a completely separate VNET for a DMZ, as my internal DNS servers are being advertised to those machines. In this case, being able to specify DNS servers at a subnet level will allow more flexibility in regards to creating one VNET instead of multiple VNETs with VNET-to-VNET connections (which come at additional billing).

465 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jack shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ondrej Vaclavu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important feature for enterprise infrastructure scenarios. We can assign DNS per VM or create separate VNets/peerings for each subnet. Both is a huge administrative overhead.

• Minh Trieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also looking at introducing Azure AD Domain Services and finding it much more difficult to implement without the ability of changing the default DNS on each Subnet. Updating NICs on each VM is much more tedious and prone to errors.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be possible to create a smaller VNET for internal and another small VNET for DMZ and peer them together. That way you can have two separate DNS entries (internal and DMZ)

Haven't tried this but it may work.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just attempted to deploy Azure Managed SQL Instance in my VNET, which uses custom DNS.

Managed SQL Instance has a hard requirement of using the default Azure DNS resolvers to work.

I cannot make it work in my environment without deploying another VNET and reworking the VPN configuration.

This feature really is needed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Requested over 2 years ago, and still no sign of implementation. Can you not enable an option on individual network interfaces to have a choice of 'Use the Azure DNS servers', along with inherit from VNet and Custom?

• John Delisle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important functionality. We have VNETs where we have many subnets that belong to different AD domains, and need to use different DNS servers. Currently, we have to edit the DNS server of half the VMs on the NIC in Azure, and this is administratively frustrating and error-prone.

Please allow per-subnet DNS configuration!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it will be nice to have the ability to enter DNS IP for subnet as well.
    currently now we have for vnet and per vm.

thanks,

• Elham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

different subnets may require different network settings...as I can't set custom DNS on subnet level in Azure , I have to update any single VM within the vnet as we are migrating some DNS servers...

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add per-subnet DNS capabilities so that we can create a DMZ within a VNET

• Martin Stevnhoved commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to have separate ADs in separate Subnets.
    This is also impossible because we can not set DNS per Subnet. Any ideas?

• Jason Milczek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use subnets to segment different departmental tenants in our organization. Some will need the ability to use their own DNS settings. Allowing DNS settings at the subnet level would be more convenient than overriding each individual VM's DNS setting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base