How can we improve Azure Networking?

Provide explicit drain stop capabilities for Load Balancing.

Many on-prem systems rely on an ability to gracefully drain traffic from a node before removing it from load balancing for updates or maintenance. While there are workarounds today for the Azure Load Balancing infrastructure (http://serverfault.com/questions/686095/gracefully-take-a-server-out-of-azure-load-balancer-drain-stop) it's not as flexible as existing on-prem services. Please add this feature.

483 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simon W shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rahul Sarkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Guys, This is an essential feature of any load balancer. Need this asap to implement seamless rolling updates to VMs in a scaleset...

• Jason van der Paal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have waited long enough,
    We're now looking at moving all workloads requiring load balancing to another cloud provider.
    Azure has half a load balancer.

• Alex Bieber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Azure Networking Team. Please comment here and tell us if there is a rough schedule for providing this as it is in the feature backlog for 2 years now.

• a-miki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to scale down the web server without dropping the connection, but there is no function to implement DrainStop for web servers in LB's scaleset. please consider adding drain connections features such as Windows NLB manager.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on when this might be fixed? Without this “feature” load balancers in Azure are a bit rubbish! Even the inbuilt windows server network load balancer which is ancient has this functionality.

• Chris Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second that comment from Jeff Miles. Surely this is a must have feature for any load balancer? If it hasn't climbed to the top of your backlog by now I'd hazard a guess that it never will.

• Charlie Scherker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to add a "me too" to this article. Weare currently migrating our entire infrastructure to Azure and find this situation to be very frustrating. Is this still under consideration?

• Julio Catzalco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't even be a suggestion, but a built in feature. It's like designing a new car that allows you to get in, but *oops* we forgot to include a way to get out. 1) Maybe you can roll down the window, or 2) maybe bust it out, no wait, 3) have someone from the outside open the door for you. Yeah, it's like that.

• Mark Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any Update to this as it has been almost half a year since It became under review?

We are looking to implement a way to easily update load balenced servers without taking sites down and this may be the update to Azure that we require.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important we have Azure VM's serving web pages using IIS in shared config mode and using a file share as the source directory. If I use the recommended solution then both VM's would report as down. There is no way to take a VM out of rotation to perform updates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base