How can we improve Azure Networking?

Stop/Start Virtual Network Gateway - to don't pay when it not in use

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed and will cost ~$38 monthly!
This is not really "Pay only for what you use".

Need functionality to “STOP” (and of course "START") a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use.

1,490 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
VlaR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Terry Frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sorry Microsoft, but this is a rip-off. This was marked as "under review" 9 months ago and there is still no ability to turn off/turn on this resource despite plenty of requests from customers. We have also just discovered this hidden cost during development. Come on Microsoft, where is your customer support for small businesses?!

• Alex St. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would Need this function also, but not for cost saving, my Customer faces big Troubles at the Moment with VPN Connectivity, where more than 70% of Pings are lost somewhere on the Gateway probably. Now I would like to restart that Gateway to maybe fix that problem, how can I do that? (unfortunately Azure Support didn't even contact me since three days on my Support Case and we are facing Hugh Problems! So please at least give us the possibility to restart a "Device" if you are not able to Support your paying customers.)

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update us on a fix to this? As with VlaR, I use an MSDN subscription and Azure for my test lab and I do not have much credit left after the gateway costs, the gateway I only use for a few hours a month.

• Douglas James Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is a considerable hidden cost, and it seems daft that you pay more for a router than you do for a server. If you have a network with multiple segments, the costs rack up.

• Marcus Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just lost a load of credit as VPN gateway was created but not in use. Have now deleted the gateway but means have to reconfigure it when need to use it again.

• VlaR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very important for dev/test environments. Otherwise gateway "eats" biggest part of MSDN monthly credits.

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base