How can we improve Azure Networking?

Stop/Start Virtual Network Gateway - to don't pay when it not in use

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed and will cost ~$38 monthly!
This is not really "Pay only for what you use".

Need functionality to “STOP” (and of course "START") a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use.

1,588 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
VlaR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nearly three years and still no solution? Embarrassing, when I see, that MS is trying to push Dev/Test Labs.

Furthermore no auto generated templates for gateways in the new portal.

Come on MS, that's the wrong strategy to become the cloud market leader, where costs are the number one argument.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to Stop a virtual network gateway and thereby stop the billing destroys our ability to operate test/research environment. I don't mind paying for it when I'm using it but let me turn it off.

• Shaon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this please ? I am running a small virtual test lab. Today I was able to successfully setup the VPN Tunnel. My pfsense VPN appliance has got a Connect/Disconnect button - a very handy switch that can help me to make/break the tunnel. However I do not see anything on the Azure side. Now this means even if i break the connection at my end , Azure VPN device will still try to sent connection traffic towards my router(carrying the public ip) and will cost me!!!! Please do something

• BillTheCoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto to all these posts. What is the hold up? Can you please provide an update to the many requests for STOP/START gateway capability? I need my ExpressRoute gateway, but only need to connect a few times during during the month (and for short periods of time). Yet this gateway amounts for 90% of my monthly charge! I thought Azure cloud computing was built on the pay-only-for-what-you-use model.

• Patrick Wingert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I am using azure as a teaching lab for myself and others I also want to be able to start/stop the gateway. Until this functionality is added I have cancelled my subscription until this feature is implemented.

• Maciej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft - how is it per hour charge if you charge when the feature is not in use and there is no way to stop it - unlike the VM. In my scenario I have a specific VM that needs to be reachable only during work hours - and that is when I need the VPN. But instead of paying for 8 hrs a day, I pay for 24? That is ridiculous!

• The Rocksurian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having the "STOP" on a Azure site-to-site VPN really isn't any good for development. We DO NOT need the gateway 24/7 we only need it on during testing. Once it goes LIVE we are happy to pay but the development lab is in a Credit subscription and we keep running out of credit as the gateway literally eats all the credit even though everything is spun down.
    MS come on be fair, we'll pay for it, honest, when we put it LIVE

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a VPN gateway connected to my on-premises netwirwork. I would like that have no charges if the gateway is disconnected.

Thanks.

• Graham Bird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add more backing to this, I have a MSDN that is rendered useless with in 1/2 a month as the credit is used by the two gateways I need to have running to simulate our setup.

As requested there should be a way to stop these gateways when I dont need them.

• Андрей Миронов commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a VPN gateway to connect to my private VNet outside from Azure. I don't need to maintaint persistent connection from my laptop, but only occasionaly I need to connect to the private VNet, when I need to do something on the database.
    I'd like the ability to stop of turn off gateway when I don't need it to avoid unnecessary charges.

• Rhys Goodwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on guys, pick up the pace. This is a basic feature. Imagine if I couldn't stop a VM!

Azure needs to put more effort into making things accessible(and cheap) for people running labs. After all those are the people who are going to push your product.

I will now look at powershell to delete and create gateways as I need them. This probably ultimately costs MS more compute cycles overall.

Cheers,
    Rhys

• Andrew Gabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a development or test environment there really needs to be an option to stop the compute resources on Gateway machines, if you're only going to be using them for a few hours while you test something out. For example, I'm doing some Azure training over the course of a month, so the Gateways are always online regardless of whether or not I'm in a class. While not a lot, based on current consumption I will have used probably £30 of the £95 credit available under a Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN (MPN) subscription. With regular virtual machines they'll be consuming while I'm actively learning and then they will be shutdown. Therefore my consumption will be in line with actual use. It would be nice to have gateways follow a similar model.

• Jimmy Killeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any further update on this feature? Really need it implemented to make it feasible for Dev\Test environments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base