How can we improve Azure Networking?

Stop/Start Virtual Network Gateway - to don't pay when it not in use

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed and will cost ~$38 monthly!
This is not really "Pay only for what you use".

Need functionality to “STOP” (and of course "START") a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use.

1,490 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
VlaR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter de Wit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. With this limitation it is FAR cheaper to build your own server based on pfsense or whatever.

• Lars Fastrup commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May I suggest a simple solution here. Release the Basic VPN sku of hourly charges and charge only for the traffic.

• Gert Humphris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have this requirement. Want to build a big network with lots of VPN Gateways but if we cannot turn them off when not in use the cost is going to be too much to make it a viable project.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know Azure Virtual Network Gateways are basically special-purpose VMs running windows RRAS and/or IPsec tunnel rules. the point is that once you spin one Gateway up, there is no way to stop it unless you delete it all together.

please add a feature to Stop/Start the gatways on-demand/scheduled/automated on top of the current always-on config. I use Azure as my lab environment and has configured it to connect to my home router. even when I disable IPsec tunnel on my end, Azure is still running the Gateway, trying to connect to my router, and charging me for it. I am paying about 45$/month for simply not doing anything with my lab!

Its been over 3 years since people started requesting this. Microsoft we need this functionality yesterday!

• Fernando Medeiros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, we need a way to stop/start vpn gateway now. It`s high important if you think about to be a cloud leader.

Any updates in the way this is being billed MSFT? The STOP functionality has been requested since 2014!

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Azure team......what is happening> Are there any updates? Instead of start/stop? VPN charges should be calculated based on connectivity ? Does every feedback provided ot Microsoft take years to resolve? Eg: Just getting Azure to send us the Invoice via emails take >2 years!!

• Shailesh Puranik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will suggest provisioning a CentOS VM on Azure and configure VPN tunnel between your on-premises VPN gateway and centos VM VPN gateway. you can start and stop by manually or setup a schedule.

• Jeremy Bradshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Microsoft response in 2017 would be nice. It is now Q2 in 2017. If it didn't take 15-20 minutes to provision a new virtual network gateway I would just de / re-provision as needed. But it does take that long unfortunately.

• Gert Kjerslev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need this. Testing Site-to-site VPN has used way to munch of my monthly test/dev budget. Come on MS! We need to stop/start Virual Network Gateway's in azure now.

• Frederick Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the ability for this as well. It is just sitting idle for the majority of the time and would like the ability to stop...

• Gareth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another joining in the chorus. Currently evaluating site recovery services with our MSDN subscription and more than 3 quarters of the allowance is swallowed up by having to run the gateway non-stop.

• Chris M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nearly three years and still no solution? Embarrassing, when I see, that MS is trying to push Dev/Test Labs.

Furthermore no auto generated templates for gateways in the new portal.

Come on MS, that's the wrong strategy to become the cloud market leader, where costs are the number one argument.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to Stop a virtual network gateway and thereby stop the billing destroys our ability to operate test/research environment. I don't mind paying for it when I'm using it but let me turn it off.

• Shaon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this please ? I am running a small virtual test lab. Today I was able to successfully setup the VPN Tunnel. My pfsense VPN appliance has got a Connect/Disconnect button - a very handy switch that can help me to make/break the tunnel. However I do not see anything on the Azure side. Now this means even if i break the connection at my end , Azure VPN device will still try to sent connection traffic towards my router(carrying the public ip) and will cost me!!!! Please do something

• BillTheCoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto to all these posts. What is the hold up? Can you please provide an update to the many requests for STOP/START gateway capability? I need my ExpressRoute gateway, but only need to connect a few times during during the month (and for short periods of time). Yet this gateway amounts for 90% of my monthly charge! I thought Azure cloud computing was built on the pay-only-for-what-you-use model.

Feedback and Knowledge Base