How can we improve Azure Networking?

Stop/Start Virtual Network Gateway - to don't pay when it not in use

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed and will cost ~$38 monthly!
This is not really "Pay only for what you use".

Need functionality to “STOP” (and of course "START") a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use.

1,490 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
VlaR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • p l commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folks, this is most likely because somewhere in the service infrastructure there is a cost per connection licensing fee. Might be to an outside hardware vendor, or the way the underlying network infrastructure cost is calculated. It's probably the fixed cost of each connection that is expensive, and it has nothing to do with bandwidth, CPU, etc.

This generally happens when a product has to be built and provided quickly. You rely on outside vendors or other internal teams to help you build the service and they nickle and dime you with per item connection costs or you feel you need to recover the initial investment in something.

Or, I guess it could be something even dumber. Maybe there's a metric or goal around a fixed number of $$'s per connection. And this would be the only way to get there.

Or something completely different. But either way, it's clearly not been designed as a grow on demand, fully scale-able, kind of service.

Whatever it is, it's clearly a "cut your nose off to spite your face" short sighted kind of mentality. And you won't get a fully scale-able service until they fix the real underlying problem.

• Daniel Klemm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ouch, I just got stung by the standby rate assuming I was just paying when connected. Annoyed becuase it took make 4 hours to set the thing up not I need to remove :-\

• realeddiesson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure cost calculation is a pain in itself, but this is simply atrocious and counterproductive MS! This one simply discourages anyone from moving from Amazon to Azure for example, as one would first try and test things out in a cost effective way. If a service cannot be stopped or paused and I am being charged for it all the time, most probably people will not use it, it's not fair business. Also stating that creating the VPN gateway is free of charge in docs is fully misleading and you should remove that statement completely as it's not a benefit at all given this pricing model. I am very disappointed that after all these years the pricing of Azure services is still obscure and misleading.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not using Azure until this is sorted. It costs over £75 / month just for one VPN Gateway. What gives? This was posted in July 2014 and it's now near enough 4 years later and still the same issue.

It's a must for me to turn all resources off including the VPN (Especially the VPN!). It's wasting all my resources for testing purposes..

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others I use my pay-as-you-go to lab configurations before running them in to customer environments. Thankfully I've spotted this early but I'm still having to pay £11 for trying something out! bah!

• MattF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to stop/start the VPN gateway makes homebrew testing cost prohibitive. You want IT professionals to choose your products at work then let us explore them cost effectively in our own time - it will pay back handsomely in the long-run.

I have had to delete mine until I have time again to pick this up.

• Chris Tatro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I did to get around this problem is setup VM running openvpn A0 Basic with a static public IP. I then have the VM shutdown on schedule everyday. My charges have been very minimal, less then $10 per month

I am using Microsoft Azure subscription to study how to use it. I was flabbergasted to see a hefty bill of $154.40. Investigating it further it showed that it was mainly due to a VPN gateway of $136.28. This is too high for a student, especially when Amazon AWS gives a whole year free to try out, compared to few weeks from Microsoft. Sucks! Can't I stop the VPN Gateway and not get billed for it when I am not using it?

• Stewart Dickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, please add the feature to disable a gateway when not in use. This creates more admin on our test environments so as to stay within budget.

Another bump on this feature. I'd be fine with a couple bucks a month to reserve the IP, but ~40/month for a basic connection that you can't stop or start on demand or simply pay for the actual transport seems silly these days.

Very unimpressed being unable to disable so we have removed the Virtual Network Gateway. May have to reconsider our whole DR solution if this cannot be available soon and it won't be with Microsoft if we do because of this poorly supported issue.

Another request for this feature. I am removing the Virtual Network Gateway until this is resolved.

• Darma S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, I use VPN gateways only 3-4 hours per month, but am forced to pay a monthly fee at a very rate. I understand your VPN gateways are hosted on virtual machines. If we could activate/deactivate these machines at will (without losing the static IP), that would be considerably more cost efficient for us. As it is, I need to look at options to move the VPN gateway elsewhere. Many thanks for your consideration.

• Alex Figueiredo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was doing a test here, and left the VPN Gateway, think it's only cost when is with traffic data. After 15 days I was scared of how my bill was! Sorry, this is not for testers, this is for real enterprises with money to pay 24h of use, not for a mortal like me.

• Aanand Ramachandran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folks - thanks for you comments on this feature. We understand that this is an important ask for many customers. It is in our list of features to add and is being discussed. Once we decide on a timeline for supporting this we will make an announcement.

Feedback and Knowledge Base