How can we improve Azure Networking?

change virtual machine virtual network through portal

Today, I needed to change a virtual network to a existing Virtual Machine. I had to delete this VM, create a new one using attached disks from the old one and set the Virtual Network. It would be nice if we had another way to do that, using Portal for example.

650 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Thiago Custodio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John Tallon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a great additional to the features, although I know its not an easy task and would have a lot of knock on effects to resources deployed to any given VNET.

• Mark Larma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No doubt. Get it together, MSFT. Having to do a move as others described below and this is so stupidly cumbersome that it's just ridiculous.

• Derek Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be available both via powershell and the portal. Seems extremely illogical to not be included. Please make this available asap!

• Nathalie Vaiser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How was doing basic things like "changing virtual networks" and "adding NICs" (or, replacing NICs) , not implemented in Azure in the FIRST place?

Why even bother giving us an Azure GUI (portal) when it can only do 10% of what we need and for everything else we have to figure out how to use Powershell to do it?

Disable our portals, just set realistic expectations...

- you're going to need to use powershell to get most things done
    - you're going to need to spend hours fumbling around in the dark
    - you're going to run into unexpected limitations (can't add an extra NIC to a VM unless it already had 2 NICs. Whaa?

Unbelievable

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A year later and still not added?
    Common guys !!
    We need basic function as changing VM networks/NICS and migration of storage.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now , How to request to support to change it if i dont have support plan ?
    Please help me

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur - this is a pretty significant limitation - especially with so many existing marketplace gallery items / resource templates forcing users to create unique virtual networks because they can't easily integrate with existing virtual networks / subnets. It would be nice to move between vnets as easily as it is to move between subnets (via portal UI/CLI/Powershell).

• Zahid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I can add a sub-request to allow VM to move from one network to a different network. I was of the impression that with ARM you can quickly configure network interface to accomplish this but alas....

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good Idea, I ran into the same, using the blanks in the Vnet. Moving between the networks via powershell and/or Portal makes sense.

Feedback and Knowledge Base