How can we improve Azure Networking?

Azure should be its own domain registrar

Windows Azure should offer domain registrar services so users don't have to maintain our domain names with a separate company. This also has the potential to greatly streamline the process of setting up a website on Azure.

686 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    che shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the services which Amazon's AWS does very well now in Route-53. If Azure could offer the same (if not better) experience that would be greatly received for sure.

I would also have a side request in relation to the DNS management, if Azure could follow the lead given by some of the bigger DNS managers (such as UltraDNS) and implement Apex Alias (root level C-Name) that would be perfect!

• John N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this option is very important. Imagine, managing domains and App services on separate billing, separate dashboards, separate monitoring, all opened on multiple browser tabs. That's a bit painful but I can carry on. But if Microsoft adopted this option as an azure service offering, that would be great.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the "Azure DNS" and "Custom domains" section in the App Service. In the custom domains section we can purchase a domain name or add a domain name registered in a third party registrar. But if we can actually purchase a domain in azure, I think the "Buy domain" should be moved inside the Azure DNS, then all DNS options and configuration should be done inside Azure DNS to make it streamlined. If Azure DNS is only for High Availability purposes, then maybe we can just combine it. When we purchased a new domain in Azure DNS, it should be automatically configured for High availability and Hosted features, then it's up to the user if he wants to turn off this feature to lower the cost.

• René Verhagen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely, create this option rather sooner than later. Currently, we have to register domains with a separate company, which only acts as the registrar, and then perform all of the management of the domain in Azure. Having Microsoft act as the domain registrar and Azure as the management portal for the domain would absolutely be best.

However, given the fact that this request as well as the response are as old as november 2013, I have the impression that we'd better give up hope about this. If Microsoft would have considered this, I believe by now this already could/would have been implemented...

Any reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Regards, René

• Reda Ennair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to migrate a domain I bought with another host to Azure and I'd prefer to handle renewal billing in Azure too.

• Graham O'Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure portal should be able to allow you to transfer in custom domains. When settinh up an azure web app it's a pain to have to setup a records and cnames etc. It's so much easier if all the elements are in one place. I know you can now purchase custom domains through the azure portal, but previously purchased domain names can not be transferred.

• Scott Brickey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@JonathanTuliani, I have been waiting for the portal to support DNS, and I'm quite happy with the results... Currently my DNS are hosted by my registrar, as it makes the management simple... switching to Azure for registrar would remove my last hesitation in ditching the current provider (I'll probably switch DNS anyway, even though my current DNS hosting is free)

• Bill Wilder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use a perpetual domain name registration attached to my Azure account - one stop shopping with no extra moving parts (or other external configs or bills to track - integrated SSL Cert, DNS, and Domain Registration/Renewal). I would want to do so regardless of which Azure services I used, which I mention because there is already an offering for a small number of TLD within App Services:

"Custom domain Azure App Service Web Apps customers can now add custom domains to their Web Apps account and manage them within the same portal they manage their web subscriptions. The top level domains that will be available are com, net, co.uk, org, nl, in, biz, org.uk, and co.in.

Price $11.99 per year (Privacy Protection included)
        "
        (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/)

• Arthur Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, provide an ability for us to register new domain name(s) from DNS Zone service and/or transfer existing domain name(s) to/from DNS Zone service!

Hi
        i have a domain name registered with Azure , with new portal i go to my domain then advance setting then it give me below error

Server Error in '/websites' Application.

Access is denied.

Description: An error occurred while accessing the resources required to serve this request. This may have been caused by an incorrect user name and/or password.

Error message 401.1: Logon credentials were not recognized. Make sure you are providing the correct user name and password. Otherwise, contact the Web server's administrator for help.

Any link where i can set cname?

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recognize that this is central to your product offering. In Azure customers observe and want a tool that can manage all of the organization's IT resources. Domain names are inseparable from infrastructure and services. Make haste to design and expose a robust tool for purchasing, transferring and managing domains.

If Microsoft wants to become a one stop cloud shop get the basics sorted, domain registration and management is a must. Combine with Azure
        DNS and traffic manager this could be very powerful.

• Awais Jameel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes absolutely Microsoft should hove to make azure registered domain more manageable. By making there Own domain registrar services.

• Ben @ Bloxxi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ou can currently purchase domains in Azure Websites > Custom Domains > Buy Domain.
        Looks like the registrar is GoDaddy & only a limited amount of TLD's are supported (.com, .net, .org, .biz)

Something competing with AWS Route53 (large list of supported TLDs and in/out transfer), not an ugly parody that App Service has!!!
        And all that for a reasonable price, of course!!!

Azure DNS should support purchasing and transferring a domain name! And not an ugly parody, that App Service currently has, but something valuable (like AWS Route53 currently has)!

I totally agree with this post!!!
        Azure should provide an ability to register a new domain name in place, otherwise it's a half-featured service!!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base