How can we improve Azure Networking?

Support IPv6 Throughout the Azure Platform

IPv6 has been a standard for years and ISPs are starting to roll out native IPv6 stacks to consumers. The time is now to support IPv6.

1,521 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steven Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is almost 5 years old, but heck.... i still have hope it might make it. It would be wonderful to connect to my database from my tethered phone on a train :(

• Dali Kilani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on Michael's comment below. CG-NAT and Ipv6-only CPE's (even for business customers, say a remote office ...) are becoming more and more common for cable ISPs. This leaves potential customers without an option at all ...

really looking forward to being able to provide an IPv6 address instead of the currently required public IPv4 address.

• georg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any news 2015 is going to end soon.... when can we except ipv6 support?

• Patrick Laughton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Speaking with both my Microsoft enterprise customer and IPv6 expert hats on, IPv6 support in Azure is long overdue.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ISPs started providing IPv6 only to home customers - sometimes using DS-lite and similar plus CG-NAT for IPv4 connectivity. We need IPv6 in Azure to implement scenarios where connection to client's network (which is IPv6 only in that case) is possible. I.e. we require IPv6 in Azure!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is kind of ridiculous for Microsoft to push the stack so hard in all the software and not support it inside its own cloud infrastructure

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IPv6 us needed for every service on thé internet. As a mater of fact, in 2015, no new product should ship without IPv6 support. Period.

• Lawrence Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remember that Cloud uses NAT to allow the provider to move your data and app servers around wherever it is cheaper or more convenient FOR THEM. Guess what IPv6 doesn't have. This could be the reason NONE of the Cloud providers include IPv6 support. Unless I've missed something, Cloud is a legacy technology that won't survive the transition to IPv6 (or at least we will have to keep IPv4 around to support it). MS keeps encouraging me to use Azure. First, it has no IPv6, which I use in pretty much everything I do. Second, it's Cloud XOR Security - that's an EXCLUSIVE OR - choose one.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot use Azure for clout or IOT without real IPv6 support. IPv6 is absolutely required for cloud and iot scale.

• espenvp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On desktops and servers MS are close to best in class when it comes to IPv6 support - and so shoud Azure. Shame on you ;)

• ΕΨΗΕΛΩΝ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also ridiculous that VMs and cloud services don't support IPv6. I currently have to use port mappings to access different VMs behind the same cloud service in SSH, instead of a unique global IPv6 address on port 22

• Martin Wüthrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, many of the Microsoft Service do not Support IPv6, an example is also DirSync, which is often used in Hybrid Scenarios.

• Alexandre Gauthier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is kind of ridiculous for Microsoft to push the stack so hard in all the software and not support it inside its own cloud infrastructure.

Feedback and Knowledge Base