How can we improve Azure Networking?

Support IPv6 Throughout the Azure Platform

IPv6 has been a standard for years and ISPs are starting to roll out native IPv6 stacks to consumers. The time is now to support IPv6.

1,521 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Luís Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution given here just reeks of Microsoft: a convoluted way of faking that you have IPv6 support, off-loading all the work to your clients.

• Chris Thoms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in the same situation as Sebastian and Adrian, our iOS app will not be approved unless the backend accepts IPv6 connections. I used the load balancer template to build a QA environment and successfully connected our mobile app via IPv4 and IPv6. While this works, I am in agreement with Chris and Ben that I should be able to associate a AAAA record with a static IPv6 address connected to my VM.

• Chris Launey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can't peer VNets that have overlapping IP (v4) ranges, but if we every VNet could be assigned a unique IPv6 CIDR block and then the VNet network constructs supported them, that would support lots of use cases:
    * infrastructure VNet to support other VNets with infra/support services, Azure ADDS, etc.
    * B2B connectivity with VNets of partners whose network ranges might overlap with yours
    * direct connectivity from Azure to private data center or other cloud services to support hybrid / multi-cloud strategies

• Patrick Laughton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- as Kyle Williams noted, the ability to add IPv6 to VPNs, particularly multisite VPNs

- related to above, the ability to bring your own IPv6 PI space to a VM network (which, generally speaking, probably means NAT66 toward the internet, but whatever)

- the ability to associate an IPv6 address to a VM without a load-balancer

- related to the last, the ability for VMs to talk to one another over IPv6

- a less convoluted path to creating VM assets with IPv6 addresses (the walkthrough I saw for the load-balanced solution was...painful, IMO)

Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks IPv6 Team. To answer your question about specific needs, right now I still can't use IPv6 because it looks like an address can't be reserved (unlike IPv4)?

• Tom Boldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the App Service Custom Domains page, I would like an IPv6 address that I can point an AAAA record to. All web sites should just support IPv6 automatically.

• Kyle Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A specific IPv6 scenario we require is IPv6 connectivity from our VMs back to our internal IPv6 systems over the IPSec tunnel. Currently we can't add IPv6 addresses to our VNETs or Local Network Gateways.

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- "Please add suggestions for specific scenario/service you need IPv6 enabled to help guide our prioritization and work?"

Azure API Management?, now we need a CDN ( with IPV6 support ) between iOS apps and API endpoints...

Apple now require IPV6-only support for all apps: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05042016a

• AdminAzure Networking Team (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As noted by SamirF, Azure now offers load-balanced, dual-stack (IPv4+IPv6) Internet connectivity for Azure VMs. This native IPv6 connectivity (TCP, UDP, HTTP(S)...inbound and outbound initiated) all the way to the VM enables a broad range of service architectures. IPv6 for Azure VMs is available now in most Azure regions. Data transfers over IPv6 are billed at the same rates as IPv4. For more information, please visit this Overview of IPv6 for Azure Load Balancer: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/load-balancer-ipv6-overview/

We realize load-balanced Internet connectivity is just the first step of what is implied by this suggestion & comments and support for more scenarios is under development.

Please add suggestions for specific scenario/service you need IPv6 enabled to help guide our prioritization and work?

Many thanks,
    The Azure Networking IPv6 feature team

• Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apple just announced all new app & updates must be ipv6 heres the link
    http://goo.gl/AlCS7V

We were about to use Azure or AWS but both of these giants are not ready for it !!!!

what are you playing at ??

looks like Digital Ocean will get my business

• Lester Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

12% of the worlds internet users are using IPv6 - and that number will only grow. Supporting legacy IP only in something as big as Azure (including Azure Pack and the upcoming Azure Stack) is not helping. I want to be able to use SDN, but I can't unless it fully supports IPv6.

• André Melancia [MCT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This ticket is THREE years old, and 2½ years ago there was an official response.
    That FAQ is exactly the same as it was 3 years ago, and no IPv6 connectivity in sight.
    Practically all Microsoft products (Windows included) support IPv6.
    How hard is it to have it in Azure? Half the world has done it!

• Olivier Hault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is not really a good brand image for Azure. How is it possible IPV6 in not yet supported (May 2016) ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base