How can we improve Azure Networking?

Support IPv6 Throughout the Azure Platform

IPv6 has been a standard for years and ISPs are starting to roll out native IPv6 stacks to consumers. The time is now to support IPv6.

1,508 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Hiram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be good if NSG would display the client IP how PaaS services do on their resource firewalls. This would avoid the confusion if traffic is going over ipv4 or ipv6.

• PP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Limited support for IPv6, from a load balancer to VMs. But can't configure to point to a firewall (NVA) as a limitation exists that multiple NICs cant be attached to the VM (as in a typical routing firewall).

• Tim Posey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Front Door now solves the problem of needing IPv6 to work our PaaS services like App Service.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're currently having to split our environments between Azure and AWS so we can support IPv6. If this feature was in place, we wouldn't need AWS and could have a pure Azure environment.

• René Sackers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a tip, for web apps, change your DNS to CloudFlare, and point to it from there. They have a magic switch that allows IPv6 users to access ipv4 sites.
    That being said, it's absolutely ridiculous that azure doesn't support it yet.

• Jose María commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lamentablemente las opciones que nos dais para implementar IPv6 no son viables ya que en nuestro caso implican tener que volver a montar todas las máquinas. La verdad, no entendemos como una plataforma como azure, aún no provee un sistema que permita utilizar Ipv6 de una forma más transparente (por ejemplo un proxy) y menos traumática que la actual.

• Maxim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In many cases it is a deal breaker for our clients to have IPv6 support.

• Christian Corsano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have more and more customers affected as they are moved on IPv6 only networking.
    As we are deployed exclusively on PaaS services (which is what Azure is best at), we do not have proper technical workaround.
    Having AppServices and CloudServices addressable through IPv6 (so we can point DNS records to them, to start with), is required for us to continue serving our customers.

• Holger Winkelmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA for that? We need to deploy a large scale service which requires IPv6 in Vnet and Gateways and inter VM IPv6 communication in June 2018.

• Xinyi Ou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support static IPv6 addresses! Since many devices do not have access to dns resolution, we need a stable ip.

• Simon Massey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IPv6 support on services such as cloud services is being requested more and more. The inability to use IPv6 across the board in Azure is startling given the industry push to IPv6 adoption. If I find that re-engineering is required to our solutions because of this, I will also take the opportunity to investigate alternatives, I expect more from you Microsoft.

• azure needs ipv6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per the FAR 11.002(g), the US Government requires IPv6 for any purchases of federal IT equipment, software, or services. Microsoft really needs to get this working.

• Tom Hebert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking to remove IPV4 from our private infrastructure, limiting our use of IPV4 to access public servers that do not support IPV6. The lack of support for IPV6 in Azure Networks and IPSEC gateways is currently my only barrier.

• Chandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same scenario as Jane. We have all our services deployed on multiple Cloud services (PAAS) and now have an IOS mobile app accessing these. The IOS app works fine while testing, but when they submit it to the store, IPv6 not being supported blocks the acceptance.
    What is the solution or workaround for this? This is critical right now.
    Does the Azure Traffic manager work with IPv6?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just looked through the roadmap and it's still not there. Last week, we started migrating our app off of Azure onto IBM Softlayer because you can't support IPv6 security, which is a MANDATORY feature of IPv6. We need to create IPv6 IPsec connections and you can't support that. It's 2017 folks.

I want a really simple, really straightforward solution: a static IPv6 address in my VM. The VM fully supports everything I need to do with IPv6. I don't need or want anything between the Internet and my VM other than maybe (and I could do without it) a firewall. I don't need features. I don't need load balancers. I don't need squat except a simple static IPv6 address. Why is that so hard?

• Jane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My scenario is simple - I'm using a cloud service not a VM and need to connect to it using IPv6 - like others on this thread I have an iOS app which connects to the service and can't get approval into the app store now.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base