Intermediate CNAME for custom domain on FrontDoor
Custom domains on Front Door and App service do not work the same way.
Custom domains on Front Door and App service do not check DNS records for custom domains in the same way.
- I have hundreds of clients with custom domains they have registered on their own (like myclient.com)
- My clients use www.myclient.com to access our services
- My company owns mycompany.com
- I've asked them to add a CNAME like this: www IN CNAME client.mycompany.com
- I've setup this record: client.mycompany.com IN CNAME mycompany.azurewebsites.net
- We are using custom domains on App service with container and it works with "client.mycompany.com" as intermediary CNAME
I now want to use to Front Door.
So I was planning to:
- update my CNAME record for mycompany.com: client IN CNAME mycompany.azurefd.net
- add www.myclient.com as a custom hostname on Front Door
But it does not work: I cannot add www.myclient.com as Front Door checks for direct CNAME record while App service accepts indirect CNAME.
Right now, I have two solutions:
- do not use Front Door
- ask hundreds of clients to update a DNS record
Both of them are not acceptable.
Valid feedback. Open for customer upvotes
We are currently in need of this solution. We would rather our clients add a CName to our public CNAME record instead of directly to the Front Door DNS Record.