How can we improve Azure Networking?

Create private dns zone in virtual network which already has VMs

Create private dns zone in virtual network which already has VMs. Currently, it's giving below error:

`Virtual networks that are non-empty (have Virtual Machines or other resources) are not allowed during association with a private zone.`

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ronak shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be very useful to add after the fact of VNET creattion, how else are we going to move from a custom DNS solution to this built in one for zone management!

• Deyan Bektchiev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comment in October 2018 was that it would be available before GA, which obviously did not happen - can you please say when the "next release" is approximately going to be out that will have this?

• Guido commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope to have this feature as soon as possible. First I opened a case at microsoft, because I was unable to believe this szenario is not supported (show-stopper). Thank you in advance for enabling!

• Prodip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have fully functional Kubernetes cluster in Azure and it comes with vNET. I thought of creating an empty vNET so that I can do the resolution but I can't create another empty vNET with same address spaces required by aks (10.240.0.0/8). Any idea when we would be able to join an existing vNET which already has VMs?

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to get looked at. This is a really good feature, but having the requirement to have an empty vnet is a bummer. Most of us have many customers that would love this feature. Hopefully, the team adds this feature with virtual networks that have VMs in them already.

Feedback and Knowledge Base