How can we improve Azure Networking?

configurable MTU

I've seen several conflicting recommendations for IPSec tunnel MTU/MSS.

First and foremost, publishing this (preferably inside the tunnel slice/pane) is a good first step, since it'd allow us to know definitively what we can do.

Second, and more significantly, I'd like to be able to CHANGE it... preferably by increasing the size... it seems that every time I turn around, the MTU needs to shrink - I'd rather leverage jumbo frames to allow higher throughput.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott BrickeyScott Brickey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Azure Networking TeamAdminAzure Networking Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback – totally understand the pain points and confusion. There are a couple of constraints on the Azure side and also specifically with VPN. The key issue is this is for packets coming over the Internet which we can only assume total packet size of 1500 bytes max. Azure SDN platform performs additional encapsulation on the packets within our datacenter networks, so it will be subtracted from there.

1. On the Azure VPN gateways, the recommendation is to set TCP MSS clamping to 1350; or if not possible for your device, then set MTU to 1400 bytes on the IPsec tunnel interface. We had updated/clarified the Azure documentation to call that out.

2. Changing MTU currently is not possible from the Azure VPN gateways. We will take it into configuration, but it will not be possible in the short term due to the scale of changes we need to do.

Thanks,
    Yushun [MSFT]

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service