How can we improve Azure Networking?

CDN Allow Root Domain for Custom Domains

It would be great to be able to set an A record to a root domain for CDNs like you can with web apps.

For example you can set a CNAME to www.example.com but you cannot set an A record to example.com.

146 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dustin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Janis Luetgemeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also needed by our customers. I would not go for the simple A record, because then you knock out the CDN core feature, that your domain resolve in another IP depending your location on the planet.

We also use CDN only for the feature that we want to use custom domains for static file hosting.

• Rein Heringa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do implement. This is very important to me and my customers. Although I would also accept root domain mapping and SSL directly on storage accounts (instead of CDN) as a solution.

This document om docs.microsoft.com (static websites) actually states to use CDN for mapping a root domain: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-custom-domain-name

"The mapping does only work for subdomains (e.g. www.contoso.com). If you want to have your web endpoint available on the root domain (e.g. contoso.com), then you have to use Azure CDN with custom domains"

• Karen Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any movement to get this working, i.e. for CDN to allow root domain to be a custom name?

• Norbert Huurnink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this is not yet working, I assume there is some kind of workaround to redirect the root domain to the www-subdomain?

Feedback and Knowledge Base