How can we improve Azure Networking?

Allow transitive network flow between peered VNET's

if we assume Three networks.

VNET1 <> VNET2 <>VNET3

<> denotes vnet peering

A machine on VNET1 cannot directly see a machine in VNET3

We would like this facility to enable us to build a network design without having to use vitual network appliances to make this happen.

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Randeep Virk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update regarding transitive network flow between peered VNETs? This would enable mixing Hub/Spoke with Mesh network topology. Many thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Transitive routing enables multiple use cases, including:
    - “Choke” point for all routing across enterprise – we can use central hub or hubs to see all “east-west” traffic by using features like NSG flow logs. Without transitive routing, this information is distributed and hard to correlate
    - Flexible VNet access - The network can now emulate how I have network design working on-premises. If there is an unanticipated change in network design, I currently need to add yet another VNet peer – this becomes unwieldy over time
    - Scalability – when networks get too big I need to refactor and grow them. Without transit routing, I need to use third party products to provide transit routing overlay – not very efficient. For very large customers the overlay does not provide enough bandwidth to scale up/out. That makes Azure not a viable solutions unfortunately.

I have run into all of these problems with previous customers. When AWS announced Transit Gateway last year, it was a big deal and every cloud infrastructure team started using it. That is a killer service, and something that Azure needs to offer as well.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be highly beneficial. Would love to see an update on timeline. It's been 1 year and 3 months since the admin said "Transitive network flow between peered vnets is on our roadmap but we have no dates to share at this time.". Any timeline to share here in the future on 3/19/2019?

Feedback and Knowledge Base