How can we improve Azure Networking?

Add DNS name label to private IPs

Currently when using Azure provided DNS all VM's are registered automatically using VM name. Unfortunately it's not possible to register other resources like for example load-balancers with private IPs. It would be great to be able to assign dns name to private IPs

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jakub Kubrynski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ojas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to Glen Little's comment below! I'm trying to use Hybrid Connection with Service Fabric and since it's not recommended to use ILB's IP address with it I don't really have any other options. Please make this happen.

• Glen Little commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private Zones look good, but currently, they cannot be added to an existing (production) VNET. Please make this possible! (Don't need the auto registration, just need to manually add local DNS entries for existing VMs.)

• K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this also mean there will be an internal DNS service? I would like the ability to use the equivalent of Azure Traffic Manager, but internally. e.g. I have applications hard coded to an internal DNS entry protocol.domainname.xyz that is not resolvable on the internet, and have traffic redirected to internal VIP2 if the machines behind the internal VIP1 all go offline. The A record of the internal DNS name gets updated if the health probe fails VIP1.

Feedback and Knowledge Base