How can we improve Azure Networking?

Extend Azure DNS to support zone transfers so it can be used as seconday DNS

If Azure DNS supported zone transfers, then if could be used both as a reliable secondary DNS service, or as an external proxy service for AD split-brain, or on-premise hosted DNS configurations.

723 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin Bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to use Azure as a reliable secondary DNS server. I do *not* want Azure DNS servers as my primary DNS, because I want to control and modify my .DOM files directly, load them to a local DNS server that I can lay hands on, and easily update my Azure DNS server with that modified .DOM file. I do *not* want the Azure SOA record insisting that it is authoritative, especially if that DNS zone is on an IP address that could change at any time.

I like the idea of Azure DNS. I do not like surrendering control of my domain to it. At this point, my only alternative if I want to use Azure is to spin up a dedicated Azure AM that only does DNS queries.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can anyone create a DNS service without the support for AXFR from external hosts!?

• Sethuraman A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will consider using Azure DNS as the primary and have another provider as backup.

- Do you require zone transfers in to Azure DNS, or zone transfers out? Why?

Both. Initially we would start using Azure DNS as a backup and later we would want to migrate that backup to become the primary.

- Do you require AXFR or IXFR?

It depends on the other providers, so at this point I think support for both makes sense.

- How should zone transfers be secured?

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing holding us up from moving to Azure DNS is zone transfers.

– Do you require zone transfers in to Azure DNS, or zone transfers out? Why? - Both, and that allows us flexibility in deciding primary, secondary scenarios in the future. Managing the zone updates between providers of a hosted DNS solution would become very cumbersome.

– Do you require AXFR or IXFR? Both

– How should zone transfers be secured? The same way MS Server DNS handles it today.

100 DNS zones and growing.

• Sergiu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this task?
        In our company (~50 DNS zones) the migration is on hold because you're not supporting the feature

• Eric JENOUVRIER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A client wanted to use Azure as Virtual Datacenter and extend his Private Network by Express Route. Within this scenario the client already have its private DNS infrastructure with its own solution but not reluctant to Azure DNS if it was possible to integrate it (ie. zone delegation) like

Scenario 1 / client DNS (*.clientprivate) => Azure DNS (*.azure.clientprivate)
        Scenario 2 / client DNS (*.clientprivate) => client DNS zone delgation (*.azure.clientprivate =>multiple Azure DNS delegation (*.spoke1.azure.clientprivate, *.spoke2.azure.clientprivate)

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for zone transfers to azure to act as secondary name server. IXFR preferred but would like option to do AXFR; Authorization by configured static IPs, or by zone NS records, same as current MS setup.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Zone transfers on to Azure DNS via AXFR.
        Based on master and ***** IP similar to MS DNS

• George Friend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Primarily interested in outbound transfers to local linux server in each office (for disconnected use)
        Unsure on AXFR or IXFR
        Similar to classic MS DNS, allowed transfer IPs / names would suffice

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mainly looking for IN transfers to use Azure DNS as secondary.
        Both AXFR and IXFR, with NOTIFY support, of course.
        Authorization by configured static IPs, or by zone NS records.

• DO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

– Do you require zone transfers in to Azure DNS, or zone transfers out? Why?
        Both in and out to support secondary DNS and hidden masters

– Do you require AXFR or IXFR?
        ideally both

– How should zone transfers be secured?
        by IP address or listed NS like in Windows Server DNS

We would love to use this and give Microsoft some money, but cannot until zone transfers are supported. We are looking for inbound, and outbound. (Inbound would help with the initial setup of hundreds of domains and thousands of records).

We would like to have a secondary DNS provider as well, so that is why we would look for zone transfers out. We have seen cases where an outage or DDoS attack has taken down a DNS service, and need redundancy with a second unrelated provider.

Is this not yet implemented? seems like core functionality to having a DNS service

We'd like to be able to do (secure) zone transfers as well.
        Primary: Azure / Secondary: On-premise and vice versa.

• WN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would require zone transfers out of Azure to our own DNS servers.
        Both AXFR and IXFR.
        TSIG or IP based.

+1 for allow private zone transfer for Azure DNS. It will be a great business case.

• Doug Ferguson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My main use case would be to leverage Azure DNS to host secondary zones. As a secondary use case, I would plan on hosting a few primary zones in Azure and have offsite secondary zones. The idea being to maintain high availability and performance where express route isn't an economical option (and support a "fog" model). AXFR would be minimum requirement. Just don't use any proprietary mechanisms for securing transfers.

We would require zone transfers into Azure DNS. Because of our environment and relationships with other entities, we require different views based on source. Today, this is all handled through a single user interface. While the benefits of moving DNS to Azure DNS (Or AWS Route 53) are intriguing, introducing the possibilities for user error and additional workload of managing DNS services in multiple user interfaces is preventing us from utilizing either. Since we're an Office365 customer already, Azure DNS would be the preferred service.

AXFR would be a minimum needed, but IXFR would be a nice.

TSIG would be my preference. IP ACLs would be sufficient for our uses, though.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base