Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Azure DNS needs DNSSEC support

DNSSEC is required to be able to secure your DNS requests. At the moment this is not available. We cannot move until our domains to Azure DNS untill these requirements have been met.

3,444 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      136 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Stop/Start Virtual Network Gateway - to don't pay when it not in use

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed and will cost ~$38 monthly!
      This is not really "Pay only for what you use".

Need functionality to “STOP” (and of course "START") a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use.

1,791 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      105 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Azure should be its own domain registrar

Windows Azure should offer domain registrar services so users don't have to maintain our domain names with a separate company. This also has the potential to greatly streamline the process of setting up a website on Azure.

1,021 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      37 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Extend Azure DNS to support zone transfers so it can be used as seconday DNS

If Azure DNS supported zone transfers, then if could be used both as a reliable secondary DNS service, or as an external proxy service for AD split-brain, or on-premise hosted DNS configurations.

967 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      50 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. change virtual machine virtual network through portal

Today, I needed to change a virtual network to a existing Virtual Machine. I had to delete this VM, create a new one using attached disks from the old one and set the Virtual Network. It would be nice if we had another way to do that, using Portal for example.

708 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      16 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Provide a 301 (Permanent) redirect service for apex (naked) domains

Discussed in the Azure DNS docs: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/dns-getstarted-create-recordset/#comment-2294403853

Right now, you must use a static IP address if you want to point an apex (naked) domain (e.g., mycompany.com) to a Cloud Service (e.g., mycloudservice.cloudapp.net). Static IP's are stable as long as the Cloud Service isn't deprovisioned; however, for maximum security, simplicity, and maintainability (i.e., even if a cloud service is deprovisioned), it would be awesome if we could have 301 redirects for the apex domain to a the www CNAME endpoint and not need to be concerned with the IP address of the Cloud Service at all. The scenario goes like…

679 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      12 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Allow DNS servers to be advertised per subnet instead of VNET

Instead of advertising the DNS servers per VNET, is there anyway we can specify what DNS servers should be advertised per subnet? In most cases, I would create a VNET and use NSGs to segregate out my traffic.

The problem with specifying the DNS servers for the whole VNET, is now I am required to create a completely separate VNET for a DMZ, as my internal DNS servers are being advertised to those machines. In this case, being able to specify DNS servers at a subnet level will allow more flexibility in regards to creating one VNET instead of multiple…

522 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      20 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Let's Encrypt Integration for HTTPS certificates

It should be possible to define a list of SSL hostnames. Application Gateway should automatically acquire and renew certificates for all given hostnames (most probably through the HTTP domain validation process).

For every request, Application Gateway should use the correct certificate based on the hostname.

Supporting multiple hostnames is critical to use Let's Encrypt with multi-site routing.

496 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Allow creation of NSG rules based on FQDN along with Ports

NSG gives option to configure NSG rules with IPAddress and Ports. Same like that we need option to configure Inbound/Outbound NSG rules based on the FQDN. Because most of our customers wants to block Internet access from their Azure IaaS VMs, If we do so, we lose the ability to configure Azure Disk Encryption, Azure Keyvault, Azure File Storage Services, Azure Websites...etc. Because all these Azure services requires its endpoints (FQDN) to be reachable from inside the VM

356 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      8 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Add Custom Tags to NSG Rules

It would be great if we can define our own on-premise network ranges (using 'Named networks' in AAD?) and add these as Custom Tags to our NSG rules. Now we have our on-premise ip-adresses/subnets as a seperate item in every NSG. When these ip-adresses/subnets change for whatever reason, we have to check every NSG and change this item. If we could use these 'centrally managed' ip-adresses/subnets as 'Custom Tags' in our NSG's rules we don't have to check and change every NSG rule with every ip-address change.

335 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      16 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. Please provide a way for grouping the endpoints and assign as a group name to the Azure VMs

We are adding endpoints for each virtual machine once created. Normally the RDP endpoint will be created by default, and can be added more if required by specifying the port #. I feel there are additional features needed to make this feature more flexible and to secure them in a centralized place. Some are -

1. The endpoints are configured by defining the ports, but it is not accepting whether the ports are inbound or outbound. So, there should be an option to include the port to open for inbound or outbound instead of configuring in the VM.

2. There…

312 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, this is a lot of good feedback. Thanks for taking the time to send it over to us, we really appreciate that here at Microsoft.

1. Could you elaborate on the need for this?

2. This is possible today via NSGs you can specify the source IP.

3. Have you looked at ASGs?

4 (both of them) We are looking into making management easier and will take this feedback into consideration.

Thanks!

- Anavi N [MSFT]

12. Possibility to set a DNS Suffix on Azure networks (like DNS Servers)

There are many scenarios for Virtual Machines (and Other maybe) where NIC settings are cleared (VM Deallocated). DNS Servers can be set on Azure Network, and this VM will have DNS Servers settings via DHCP. But we have to set DNS Suffix manually each time, or set a script automatically at each boot.
      The idea is just to have a way to set a suffix DNS for VM Networks, with the same way as DNS Servers. With this settings, DHCP will assign DNS suffix to all VM automatically.

309 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. Allow network security groups to be created and renamed

Currently, it seems I can't create security groups without creating an instance, or rename them for that matter. Or can I?

My use case: I created an instance and and 'SSH' security group with it. Then decided I want to test HTTP as well via public IP. Oh well, I can't rename the SSH group to e.g. 'SSH+HTTP', nor can I create a new group to change the NIC to.

299 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      12 comments  ·  Network Security Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Bring Your Own Public IP Address space and Internet subnet routing in Azure Virtual Networks

When you own a public address space IPv4 and/or IPv6, Windows Azure should provide a way to use it (via LISP and/or classic routing).
      When you don't own a public address space, you should be able to rent it for your virtual network on Windows Azure both via Microsoft or via Tunnel Broker providers

253 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      11 comments  ·  IP addresses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Support VNET re-deployment without destroying subnets

When you deploy a VNET from an ARM template in incremental mode I would expect omitting the subnet property would not change the subnets since they are child resources. Instead they are destroyed. I think this is inconsistent with all other similar resource types e.g. app service plans and web apps, azure SQL servers and databases, etc... Please make VNETs and subnets deployments consistent.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/issues/2786

249 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      8 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    16. Azure DNS query log

Hi,

I would like to request Azure DNS Query Log. This will help us identify traffic hitting record name in the dns zone.

Possible Log Sample

Time-Stamp,SourceIP,RecondType,RecordName

233 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  1 comment  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Don't strip QOS DSCP markings

Azure vNets with ExpressRoute should support QOS markings. Ideally the Expressroute circuit should honour and prioritise packets with DSCP priorities set.

If honouring DSCP is not possible then the values should at least be passed along and not be stripped out.

We have Azure connected to our internal MPLS network via an Expressroute Exchange provider. (Our MPLS provider is not setup as a Network provider in Azure). Some of our remote sites have congested links however with QOS we ensure all business applications perform well.

We are now moving some business applications into Azure and getting performance problems due to…

221 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. 191 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Simplify creation and visualization of Azure VNET's

Creating a virtual network that spans an on-premise deployment and more than 1 Azure datacenter is a pain and not easy to "see" if all thing are lined up correctly. Building a network like this shouldn't require importing or exporting files and running powershell commands if you don't want to. Would be great it was like using Visio (Drag, Drop, Pipe). Then use that same view to see the overall health, speed, and usage in real time on that network.

184 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Conrad,

This is an amazing idea! For now, this tool can help you view and interact with your network: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=bencoleman.armview.

Additionally, documentation for Network Watcher topology view can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/network-watcher/view-network-topology. I will forward your suggestion that this be made more interactive.

Best,
      Allegra [MSFT]

20. Allow to change subnets modification with enabled vnet peering

Currentl once vnet is deployed and peering is created with another subscription or vnet. Once the peering is set, it is not possible to extend,remove or add another subnets ranges to all vnets which have valid peering configured. For such if you need to modify the subnet, you have to remove the peering (might cause downtime if peering is used), do the subnet modification and recreate the peering again.

181 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base