Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Provide Load balancing performance Data for ILB

Provide the ability to get ILB performance data.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Standard load balancer - last rule warning

I just caused an outage, because I deleted the last rule of the standard frontend load balancer in front of the firewalls.
      The root cause is clear based on the documentation:
      "The Load Balancer resource must be configured with a load balancer rule to create a link between the public IP frontend with the backend pool."
      That means, I am forced to have a rule, regardless whether it is nonsense like some random high port, in order to enable the backend VMs to connect to internet. So even I do not want to have a connection from internet, I still…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    3. Virtual Network Gateway

I believe that route based Virtual Network Gateways are created as GatewaySKU = Basic by the new Azure Portal but billed as GatewaySKU = Standard.

I created a new Virtual Network Gateway through the new Azure Portal and then checked the GatewaySKU via Azure PowerShell. It showed the SKU being Basic but according to the Portal I was being billed the Standard GatewaySKU rate.

I was able to fix the billing by first changing the GatewaySKU via PowerShell to Standard and then immediately back to Basic.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    4. Improve to check cause of setup error

On my network watcher, i could not get the status correct on my NSG. Is there a way to check why it "failed to load"?

I find no clue what is the cause of it? Validated that the region is enabled.

How to troubleshoot such error? Googled but still not able to find a good solution to it. Or way to troubleshoot the cause to proceed the setup.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Network Watcher  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    5. Virtual Network Gateway Hours - Pay only for what you use

I just notice, Virtual network gateway hours is not pay when use. Once you create the gateway and extend the Azure virtual network to your premise, it starts to charge no matter what it's connect or disconnect.

From pricing detail, $0.05 per connection-hour (~$38/month).

So, even I shutdown my premise router overnight, I still need to spend min $38 monthly. It is not really "Pay only for what you use".

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      11 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      declined  ·  Yushun Wang [MSFT] responded

Hi, Alex,

There are two charges related to the Azure VPN service: the compute resource charge at $0.05/hour, and the egress data volume charge. Both are based on resource consumption, Unfortunately, even if the VPN tunnels are not connected, the gateway compute resource is still being consumed.

The charge is based on business review and common industry practice. We will consider providing the functionality to “STOP” a gateway if the customer is certain that the gateway will not be in use. If this is the request, please open another item and we will track that feature ask accordingly.

Thanks,
      Yushun [MSFT]

6. Add information covering scaling.

How much throughput can a VNET handle? How do you monitor that? Guidance on this topic would be helpful.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Network  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    7. Port Not listing on LB

Team,

When we openany new port on LB, it always not listing and also not able to telnet. Then we need to delete again probe and LB rule then it works.

Please improve the LB function so that if anybody open new port, its work quickly.

thanks
      AShok

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    8. native support for opc-ua over https

my organization is keen to implement opcua on cloud but needs the protocol opc-ua over https as native.
      please consider. for now this is still an optional implementation as specified in the ua specifications. will microsoft consider taking the lead to jump start this implementation?

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Using portal

When using the portal to create reserved IPs the name gets prepended with "Group <groupname> <reserved ip name>". Then, when it's displayed it only shows what was entered, so it's very deceiving. If you use powershell to view your list of reserved IPs you can see the actual name and it's usable.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  IP addresses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. Hi Geeks, exchange 2013 setup on azure but unable to recieve external emails. port 25 blocked!! any help!! :(

Hi Geeks, exchange 2013 setup on azure but unable to recieve external emails. port 25 blocked!! any help!! :(

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  IP addresses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    11. 1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    12. Poderia ter um gerenciamento de dns reverso! Acho que faz muita falta...

Poderia ter um gerenciamento de dns reverso! Acho que faz muita falta...

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  1 comment  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    13. Ability to specify Target VM on Azure CLI command 'az network lb inbound-nat-rule create' command

When you create an inbound NAT rule you cannot specify the target VM. You can use a different command (az network nic ip-config inbound-nat-rule add) or the GUI, but it would be good to have the option here too.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    14. Support names as well as IP addresses for local gateway on site-to-site VPN

Today you only allow IP addresses to be specified as the local gateway endpoint for a site-to-site VPN. Customers who receive their public IP via DHCP would greatly benefit if this config parameter could also take a DNS name that the Azure gateway infrastructure would resolve to the current IP (and if there are connectivity issues, re-resolve as the IP may have changed).

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  VPN Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Azure DNS

Azure DNS is a service, not a resource! So don't require using it in a context of a resource group!

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  DNS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback.

Azure Resource Manager is fundamental building block of all Azure services, providing a number of cross-platform benefits such as a shared authentication and authorization framework enabling role-based access control.

A resource group is a fundamental concept in Azure Resource Manager, and that’s why Azure DNS requires DNS zones to be placed in resource groups.

We would like to understand your concerns better to look for alternative solutions. Other than needing to create a resource group and specify the resource group name when creating a DNS zone, is there another issue? We would be interested in any specific feedback if using a resource group causes any specific scenarios not to work for you.

16. Azure SLB: suggestion for display of frontend ip addresses

On the portal, we can see public IP address which is assigned to each VM in "overview" of VM resource.
      If VM is bound to loadbalancing rule or inbound NAT rule of SLB, SLB's frontend IP address is displayed in "Public IP address" field.

However, even if SLB has multiple frontend addresses, not all public addresses are not displayed, but only a single public address is displayed in this field. Sometimes it confuses operators. Please consider to modify this like below:

- not to display any frontend IP address of SLB in "Public IP address" field
      or
      - display all…

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Load Balancer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    17. Load Balancer should drop all packets for ports not configured

Load Balancer should drop all packets for ports not configured before they get to my NSGs. See REG: 119012221000062 for additional information. Basically, the Azure LB installed as part of the Azure AD service is configured for port 443. But my NSG flow logs show packets arriving on a port other than 443 and incidentally for the destination as the public IP associated with the LB. My initial complaint was why do I see such a public IP address and I was told this is unavoidable because SNAT is enabled on this LB. I have no control over this LB…

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    18. Application Gateway WAF | unable to disable ruleId:200002

I would like to diable ruleId:200002.
      Currently, only ruleId:200004 is listed in General.
      It seems that ruleId:200002 is same as ruleId:920130 .
      I will be blocked by 200002 even if I disabled 920130.

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base