Networking

The Networking forum covers all aspects of Networking in Azure, including endpoints, load-balancing, network security, DNS, Traffic Manager, virtual networks, and external connectivity.

Virtual Network:

• Service overview

• Technical documentation

• Pricing details
  • Traffic Manager:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • Network Watcher:

• Service overview

• Pricing details
  • If you have any feedback on any aspect of Azure relating to Networking, we’d love to hear it.

How can we improve Azure Networking?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
    • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
    • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
    (thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
    • Top ideas
    • New ideas
    • My feedback
    1. Reorder the Listeners on the Application Gateway

Recently I was in the need to register additional listeners to an App Gateway. The issue is that the rules and Listeners should be created (at least using the portal) on correct order and the portal don't have any options to change this order.
      As the process of update changes on the Gateway takes a few minutes, this type of change requires a few hours to create a new record, remove, add it again, create rules, etc.
      Using a pattern similar to the NSG where we define a value for the order would save a lot of time.

75 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Sign in with: Microsoft
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    2. Network Watcher Topology should get information for resources in different resource group than VNET

The preview of Network Watcher has a Topology feature which draws objects connected to a specific VNET, which is great. But, I noted that for a full topology, ALL resources need to be on the same Resource Group than the VNET chosen. That doesn't make sense, because is pretty common to have VMs and NICs on different RGs. Would be great if you choose a RG and a VNET as a starting point, and Topology feature gather all other resources interconnected independently of their RGs.

71 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      9 comments  ·  Network Watcher  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    3. Setting NSG immediately

When NSG is set from PowerShell or the portal, the operation successfully completes soon but it takes a few minutes before the NSG setting will take effect.
      Please set NSG setting immediately.

68 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    4. Enable the application of Network Security Group rules to groups of IPs

Allow the creation of groups that contain multiple IP addresses. Then allow the application of Network Security Group rules to the group. As an example I could create a group, add the IP addresses of all my Domain Controllers to the group, then apply rules to the group, rather than duplicating rules for each Domain Controller where the only difference is the IP address.

63 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    5. Allow a VM's NIC to use a VNET\Subnet from another Subscription

Given that the syntax of json deployment templates allows referencing resources by a unique resourceid which includes the guid of the subscription, I would like to create a VM in subscription 'A', whose NIC references a subnet that is part of a VNET in subscription 'B'.

The reason for this is two-fold:
      1) This would allow a corporate networking function to securely manage all the networking infrastructure in a corporate IT-owned and managed subscription, but allow it to be consumed by line-of-business units, whose subscriptions are restricted (via ARM policies) to not allow the creation of VNETs.
      2) This would…

60 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    6. Authentication to VPN Gateway using Azure AD

Add option to authenticate to VPN Gateway using existing Azure AD accounts. For security reason there should be option to add a group of users allowed to use VPN.

This should help to use Azure VPN Gateway by customers which not use local AD DS servers

58 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    7. Reduce update times for Application Gateways

It would be great if the Application Gateway could update faster. Working with AGWs forces me to wait for 15-30 minutes after each update - which wastes a lot of time.

Working with gateways at AWS feels nearly instant and does not require such long waiting times.
      I'd highly appreciate if Azure AWG updates could become so fast, too.

50 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    8. Ability to move a NIC from one VNET to another.

Could we get the ability to detach a NIC from it's current VNET and reattach it to a different VNET? In my case, I accidentally created a new VNET instead of attaching it to a pre-existing one, and it would be more convenient to move it over instead of recreating the NIC.

48 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      2 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    9. Azure DNS private zone for non-empty vnets

allow creating of private zone for non-empty vnet.

46 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    10. vpn gateway slow to create

Why does it take upwards of 30 minutes to create a vnet gateway?
      If I am doing a PowerShell script or a CI/CD deployment, the whole world stops while the VPN takes 30-odd minutes to be initialised and start. Can this please be addressed?

43 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    11. Formalize the Traffic Manager user agent string

I would like to see the user agent that Traffic Manager uses in its HTTP requests as part of monitoring/probing become formalized so that applications can take a dependency on the user agent string name and not worry about it changing in the future affecting the application that has behavior that depends on the user agent.

For an example where the user agent string is needed to comply with URL canonicalization needs along with Traffic Manager being involved, please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/d9f8e779-644d-4263-990c-9de5a7cf403c/is-the-user-agent-for-traffic-manager-guaranteed.

41 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    12. Add additional IP Protocols ls for NSG Rules

Add the ability to add additional IP Protocols (i.e. ICMP, EIGRP, so forth) to an NSG rule. The only option today is TCP, UDP, or "*". Currently to allow ICMP you have to allow any protocol "*" and any port "*" in the rule instead of simply adding a rule for ICMP specifically. This inhibits the ability to meet security controls for isolation required in NIST SP800-53.

39 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    13. Provide a rest api to access the list of Azure IP Addresses

Please provide an api that will us to gather the full list of azure ip addresses, the ones added in the last week, and the ones deleted in the last week. This would be used to automate the weekly changes we need to make to accommodate these changes.

38 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      7 comments  ·  IP addresses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    14. Azure Firewall

Please add the ability to protect against inbound traffic from the public internet in addition to its present ability to protect outbound traffic. If this is going to be offered as a true SaaS 'Firewall' solution, I believe this should have that true firewall protection for incoming traffic (protection against common attacks, layer 7 packet inspection, etc.)

33 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  7 comments  ·  Azure Firewall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    15. Support for IKEv2 VPN clients to connect to an Azure based RRAS server (Allow ESP traffic through NSG)

Currently, Network Security Groups only support rules for TCP and UDP traffic. This request is for the addition of rules for ESP traffic which is required for IKEv2 clients to connect to an RRAS server running on Azure.
      We use ExpressRoute Point-to-Site is not an option as they cannot coexist. We currently use SSTP for our clients to connect but lack the resiliency that comes with an IKEv2 connection.

Alternatively, support for Expressroute/Point-to-Site coexistence would also satisfy our requirement and eliminate the need to maintain an RRAS server in Azure.

30 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    16. Set up a VPN device script Link as present in the Classic Portal

I was setting up the Site to Site in New portal and found the link to download the VPN script wasn't present as in Classic portal. It would be good we have that link in new portal so that we can share that Network admins to setup site-site Connection with on-premise and Azure Vnet

29 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
    17. Support for temporary removing nodes through REST API

It would be great if there was a REST API or something similar we could use to take a node out of rotation without being dependent on the probe detecting it.

Usecase: We run SF behind the Application Gateway. When we update our front-end service, we would like to take it out of rotation before the service is updated. This does not seem possible today, since we have to rely on the probe detecting that a node has gone down. Since the probes have a lag (it probes on a given interval), some users will have a bad experience when…

27 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      1 comment  ·  Application Gateway  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    18. Confirguration of caching rules in Front Door

Allow configuration of content caching rules similar to how Azure CDN (Akamai) and Azure CDN (Verizon). This will allow better support of leveraging Front Door with Azure Storage Static Websites where it is impractical to set cache-control on a per-item basis.

27 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Azure Front Door Service  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    19. Allow User-Defined Routes (UDR) to work across ExpressRoute.

Currently, UDRs are limited to IP addresses which appear in a single peer group of VNETs (i.e., in the same Azure data center location). I would like to have a NextHop to a firewall that can serve multiple regions. The traffic would flow across the ExpressRoute (MPLS-style).

While most deployments are in a few Azure data centers, there are some which are elsewhere. It is less economical to have a separate firewall instance for each region. With UDR across ExpressRoute (or VPNs), that would be a money saver.

26 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  ExpressRoute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    20. Enable a VM to move between cloud service and VMNet AFTER VM creation

At present, if you create a VM and THEN want to put it into a vmnet, you must destroy the VM then recreate it (keeping the same disk). This is quite wasteful and slow. Please provide the feature to 'move' a vm between a cloud service and a vmnet with minimal downtime.

24 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      (thinking…)
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      0 comments  ·  Virtual Networks (VNET)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base